Is It Better to Have a Gynecologist or a Plastic Surgeon Perform a Labiaplasty?

Wouldn't gynecologists have more limited experience in performing the procedure and less training in achieving aesthetically pleasing results?

Doctor Answers 7

Labiaplasty: Plastic surgeon or Gyn?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Experience is the most important factor..

Many of my patients are referred by their gynecologists, and many gyn's have never even mentioned to their patients the severe deformities of their patients labias and that they are treatable.

Many plastic surgeons have no experience in this part of the body

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Labiaplasty should be performed by a qualified gynecologist or Plastic surgeon.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Performing labiaplasty requires judgement and experience. Labiaplasty should be performed by a qualified gynecologist or Plastic surgeon. Be sure when you discuss your case with a surgeon to completely understand their level of experience and their results.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Choice of Labiaplasty Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There exists both talented plastic surgeons and gynecologists that perform labiaplasty.  Unless you get a referral from a friend, the best is to research the surgeon to make sure he or she is experienced in labiaplasty surgery.  This means finding someone who does at least 3-4+/month and has some good before and after photos to prove it.  As important is to find someone you are comfortable with because, after all, this person will be operating on a very sensitive/intimate part of your anatomy.  Either way, it is always recommended to seek consultation with a board certified surgeon when considering any type of surgery.  Best of luck...RAS 

Ryan A. Stanton, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 128 reviews

You might also like...

Choosing Surgeon For Labia Reduction Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You will find that both plastic surgeons and gynecologists perform the labia minora procedure. More important than the specialty of the physician is the experience level and end results that the surgeon can demonstrate to you. It is definitely worthwhile to do your “due  diligence" when doing your research and select a surgeon who can demonstrate his/her experience level etc.

Best wishes.

Plastic surgeon or gynecologist for labiaplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both plastic surgeons and gynecologists can give you excellent results for labial reshaping and reduction. There are several methods or techniques, but the two most common ones are a flap technique (preferred by plastic surgeons) and an amputation or now called a sculpted linear resection (preferred by gynecologists). Either technique can give excellent results, depending on the surgeon's skills and experience. As a board certified plastic surgeon, I prefer the flap technique. I believe this gives a more natural result with hidden scars and retention of the normal labial edge and color. Also, with this technique is almost impossible to over resect the labia, or cause scar pulling or contracture of the clitoral hood.

Who best to perform labiaplasties.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It doesn't matter as to whether a Plastic Surgeon or a Gynecologist performs the Labiaplasty surgery, provided that the doctor is highly qualified to  perform the proper surgical technique that will lead to the best results.  Always ask your surgeon to talk about the technique that would be used.  Wedge resections of the labia minora often prove to be the best technique for most patients skill and technique always matters.


Good luck to you.


Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgeon vs Gyn for labiaplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


It really depends upon the experience of your surgeon. Ask to see Before and After images and expect to see quite a few. This procedure takes time (years) for a surgeon to obtain the experience that is helpful to the potential patient. Look at those pictures and be OK with those results....preferably more than OK.


Best Regards,


John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.