Should Certain Gym Exercises Be Restricted After Rhinoplasty?

This week marks two weeks since my revision rhinoplasty and my doctor says I can start lifting weights again. I know it is always recommended to keep your head above your heart after a rhinoplasty. Does that mean that for the next few months I should be avoiding exercises where I am not on an incline? For instance, should I avoid exercises such as flat bench press and bent-over rows?

Gym after rhinoplasty

It all depends on the extent of the rhinoplasty. What did the surgeon see when he/she was in there? Did they do extensive septum, turbinate, and bone work? Did they do extensive tip work? Best to contact your surgeon's office before stating on an exercise regimen. We usually tell our patients at each visit what their restrictions are. We tell them, (at the appropriate time),to start slowly and then progress from there. Also, don't be frustrated if you lost endurance, or gains in lifting. It will take a while to get back to where you were.                 

Exercise after a rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty can be a variety of surgical maneuvers on the nose to influence its shape.  Depending on the specific set of techniques utilized (osteotomies, alar base only, rib graft, onlay, etc) will help determine how much exertion you can sustain.  

In my practice, return to vigorous exercise can occur gradually on a week to week basis depending on the type of rhinoplasty.  The exceptions are activities that can bounce the nose around such as running.  The level of exertion increases 25% each week beginning at 0% and ending at 100% over a 4-5 week span.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Six Weeks Before Resuming Vigorous Exercise

I usually recommend that patients don't do strenuous activities and exercise for at least six weeks after surgery. It's best to remain with your head elevated to allow swelling to subside. 

Strenuous exercise after Rhinoplasty

I had performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and I restrict the activity (no strenuous activity) for 1 month following all Rhinoplasty surgery.  You should however, follow the instructions of your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Exercise after rhinoplasty

I restrict heavy exercise for about two weeks. After that most of my patients resume there program except for contact sports. Six weeks in is my number for contact sports.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Resumption of activities following a revision rhinoplasty

There is no specific, absolutely correct time to resume specific activities after a rhinoplasty and that is why there is variance in recommendations among plastic surgeons. Additionally, patients will respond differently to similar activities,etc. For my patients, I usually recommend waiting around 3 weeks following a rhinoplasty to engage in vigorous activities. For relatively strenuous bench pressing and similar activities, I would add another week to this though it doesn't guarantee that you won't have a nose bleed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Proper Post-op Activity for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is one of my favorite operations.  The nose sits in the middle of the face, and a one-millimeter change can make the difference between a good result and a great result.  Depending on the approach and the extent of the dissection, I would recommend that you avoid vigorous exercise for at least four weeks.  This is because when you raise your heart rate, you then raise your blood pressure, and if you raise your blood pressure in a fresh surgical state. you can hemorrhage.  

3 wks

I typically request my patients avoid strenuous exercise for three weeks and contact sports for two to three months depending on whether osteotomies were performed

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Post-rhinoplasty exercise

I usually  have my patients limit exertional activities for 4-6 weeks toavoid any risk of bleeding .  You should make sure with your doctor.

Exercise after rhinoplasty - nose job

It is important not to strain or overexert yourself after your rhinoplasty, or nose job surgery.  It typically takes 2-3 weeks for all the inside lining of the nose to heal and avoid a bad nose bleed after surgery.  You should be fine at this stage for getting back to physical activity.  I would limit contact sports for another 4-6 weeks.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon