I have a cold and I am scheduled to have a lipo procedure next Monday - What can I use for the cold or should I cancel?

Illness before surgery

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.  You should call your surgeon and provide him/her with the details of your symptoms and ask what over the counter medications you are able to take.  Get lots of rest and drink plenty of water over the next few days.  If your symptoms change make sure you notify your doctor.  The decision to postpone or proceed with your liposuction procedure should be made with your surgeon.

Minor Illness and Elective Procedures

Decisions as to whether to proceed with elective surgery in the setting of a cold is best left to the discretion of the operating surgeon. It is important to remember that this is elective surgery. Meaning there is no need to rush or undergo the procedure under anything less than optimal circumstances.

A "cold" in the absence of fever and other systemic symptoms probably represents a relatively low risk (depending upon the procedure). Yet most surgeons will reserve the right to reschedule at their discretion (or the discretion of their anesthesiologist). Priority #1 is safety. No scheduling conflicts or inconvenience of rescheduling can supersede.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon