Are Breast Implants realistic for those who run long distances daily?

Just wondering if breast implants are realistic for those who run long distances (10 miles or more) daily? Does such running combined with implants interfere with bodily safety (i.e. more prone to leaks, implant deteriorating, etc.) ?

Implant size and running

great question and one that comes up often. Consider the size and weight of thenimplant when mKing this choice. As a point of reference, a 12 oz can of sofa is equivalent to a 350cc implant so take that into consideration. Women with large breasts run all the time and wear appropriate supportive garments and women with large implants may experience similar complaints. Larger implants are associated with greater degrees of tissue atrophy and tissue stretch. 

Breast implants and running

Many women who undergo breast augmentation are avid runners and marathoners. Once you have healed you should expect to return to your routine of running. You will want to discuss your size before having surgery to limit the weight on your chest but also achieve the desired look after surgery. I would recommend having a consultation with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Are breast implants realistic for long distance runners

Wow, you run ten miles a day!  Breast implants do have weight and you will carry this weight with you after augmentation. Your choice of implant size and type will determine this weight.  Many female athletes continue to run and compete after breast augmentation.  I am unaware of any scientific study that suggests runners are at a higher risk for implant failure.

Kevin Bounds, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank your for your question. Breast implants do not have any issues with running or exercise. I suggest you get a moderate size implant and when you get them wait at least 3 weeks before running or exercise. It's best to be sure that everything is healed. There is always a chance of causing bleeding if you start much before that time. When you start, listen to your body. You will be a little out of condition and a bit sore. But you will get back to where you were before surgery very quickly.

Breast implants and running

I'm not aware of any evidence that being a runner puts you at increased risk of having complications with breast implants. Regarding the integrity and durability of the implants over time, breast implant technology has advanced significantly over the years, and I do not put any restrictions on my patients' exercise once their breasts have fully healed. See a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck! 

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question.   implants will have no effect on your ability to run long distances. However if you are leaving the implants will likely be placed under the muscle in order to allow better coverage. This will often lead to visible irregularities with muscle contraction which is called an animation deformity. Another option would be to place the implant above the muscle combined with fat transfer which would give you an ideal outcome eliminating any muscle involvement and also allowing more coverage and better cleavage than an implant cannot provide alone. In any case, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in both breasts and fat transfer procedures. Please see the attached video for a exact description of this approach. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Running does not interfere with breast implants and many women who have implants exercise regularly. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and succintly put the answer is yes.  It is rather important however to avoid too large an implant since finding good support bras can be challenging as your size increases.  You need to weigh the potential benefits as well as the possible negatives of having larger breasts and how they will affect your lifestyle.  For most athletic patients who seek larger breast the results are worthwhile.  Running is responsible for loss of breast volume and replacing with a cohesive silicone gel implant is safe and helpful in re balancing your proportions in my opinion.  I am hopeful that the new cohesive gel implants will prove to be very durable over a long period of time.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast implants are perfectly fine for women who run long distances. I would recommend that you stay with a moderate size increase, but talk with  plastic surgeons in your area and discuss your size goals with them. Buy sports bras with a fitted cup versus ones that just compress your breasts. these offers better support for runners. Reebok and the Under Armour Armorflex are two brands that my patients who run love to wear for the added support they give.

Breast implants for long distance runners.

As a marathoner myself, breast implants can be a problem if not chosen carefully. We often will recommend a modest lower profile dual plane implant to avoid a conflict with training. A silicone gel implant should be stable and durable and up to the task.