Could breast feeding be possible after a breast reduction and possibly implants?

I want to get a reduction and implants to fill in my breasts at the tope but I may have children in the future and I plan to breastfeed. Would I still be able to breastfeed or will I have to choose one or the other?

Breast reduction and implants - can I breast feed in the future?

Thank you for your question about your breast reduction and implants.

• Great question -
  • As long as the nipple attachments to the milk ducts are preserved - and they usually are - you should be able to breast feed in the future.
  • That said, research shows that after breast surgery women are a little less likely to be able to breast feed and a little more likely to breast feed for a shorter time.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breastfeeding after breast surgery

If you're thinking about having a baby in the next couple of years, it might be wise to wait until after baby to have a breast reduction. Your breasts can certainly change with pregnancy and lactation, and it's nice to do surgery when everything is at a steady state. If you do decide to have a reduction and have a baby later, the chances of breastfeeding will depend on the technique. Try to avoid a free-nipple-graft technique since you wont be able to bf after this. With pedicle techniques (nipple is moved, not removed), there is at least a 50% chance of being able to bf after, but it is hard to predict.

Implants will probably not interfere with breastfeeding as much as reduction might..

I also suggest getting help from a lactation consultant as soon as baby is born.
Best wishes-

Breast implants placed under the muscle are not likely to affect breast feeding. In most cases, breast feeding is still possible after a breast lift or breast reduction. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast feeding

In many cases, breast feeding is possible after a reduction  and also after augmentation.  In general, many patients have to supplement even if they do not have surgery,

Breast feeding possible after a breast reduction?

Loss or diminished ability to breast-feed is a known risk of all types of breast surgery.  It is difficult to quantify the risk associated with breast reduction surgery; much will depend on exactly what technique is utilized and how much breast tissue is removed.  There  are measures that your plastic surgeon can take to preserve relevant breast tissue.  Overall, the majority of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery will be able to breast-feed.
Ultimately, timing to proceed with breast reduction surgery will be a personal decision that only you can make after careful consideration of pros/cons associated with pre and post-pregnancy options.

Thank you for your interesting question.  In most cases of breast reduction there is no interruption of the milk ducts and you will be able to breast feed.  However, there are a small number of women who are not able to breast feed after breast reduction, usually due to loss of sensation to the nipple which happens in around 5% of cases.  As for implants, I am not certain I understand your question.  If you are getting a breast reduction what would be the purpose of implants?  It would defeat the purpose.  Your experienced plastic surgeon should be able to leave enough breast tissue behind to give you an aesthetically pleasing contour and fullness.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS