So many people on RealSelf are saying Botox side effects are permanent? This is new to me - can this happen? (Photo)

I am very depressed about my botox result from october in glabella and crows feet which has had fairly alarming side effects. Eyelid droops some days worse than others and cheek droop on one side. A lot of people on realself say they have never recovered from bad botox results so now I am v.concerned that there is no hope of returning to pre injection state. Wish I had never done it having read the reviews people saying permanent!

Botox and sideeffects

There has NEVER been a permanent side effect from the use of Botox or any of the other botulinum toxins. 

Nashville Dermatologist

Botox side effects

Thank you for your question Avril71. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Side effects are rare. But when they occur they can lead to significant distress. I have seen a lot of this on Real Self. When one is distressed it is natural to seek help. But most of the time when the side effects resolve follow up posts are not seen. I have treated thousands of patients with Botox and from time to time there have been side effects such as droopy eyelids. I have never seen a permanent side effect from Botox in my experience. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Is this a statement or is there a question? Effects of Botox are temporary and wear off in 3-4 months. Seek qualified and experienced physician for your elective cosmetic MEDICAL treatments to minimize risk of maloccurance.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

So many people on RealSelf are saying Botox side effects are permanent? This is new to me - can this happen?

Hello Avril71,

Sorry to hear about your response (which is also visible in your photo).  The effects of Botox are not permanent.  They tend to last for about 3 months in most people (some a little less, some a little longer).  If you were treated in October, you should would likely have improvement this month.  If you cannot wait, there are eye drops which can be used to help your droopy eyelid. 

Also, you may consider a different injector in the future as getting a droopy eyelid is not the goal of treatment and is not common. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox effects are not permanent

Thank you for asking about your Botox -

• I am so sorry this happened and understand your distress.
  • Your photo suggests that your Botox was injected into the zygomaticus major and levator palpebrae muscles in error.
  • This is not permanent.
  • Botox wears off by itself, usually in 3 months.
  • In some people it lasts longer, up to a year - and it takes that long to wear off.
  • I suspect the person who treated you was not a physician and/or had little experience.
  • That said, even in the most experienced hands, these things can happen - but it is disturbing that you had two significant effects that are usually easy to avoid.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.