My nurse says she does not need Veinlite during my sclerotherapy appointments.

I am afraid she may not be able to see and treat the reticular veins. I seek treatment somewhere else?

Vein light

A vein light is not needed to perform sclerotherapy. It depends on what the provider feels most comfortable with. I prefer to use a light however I have done it both ways.

Northborough Physician

Veinlite

My sclerotherapy treatment consist of using both a veinlike and a syris headlamp.  The vein lite is a little better then the syris to see reticulars and the Syris is best for magnification of the spiders.  My procedure is done in the dark with illumination from the various lights that I use.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question.  Veins can be characterized as spider, reticular and varicose.  A skilled provider knows the difference and can determine if sclerotherapy or laser therapy is the best treatment.  A veinlite can be helpful but it is not always necessary.  The more important decision is the quantity and the solution that is used.

Donna M. Mendes, MD, FACS
New York Vascular Surgeon

Venilite and sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question.  Using the Venilite is not 100% needed for successful sclerotherapy to be performed.  It really is up to the provider and their comfort level with injecting without the aid of a light. I rarely use our Venilite as I am confident I can get good results even without it. Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

VeinLite

VeinLite is just a tool.  Some people like it, others do not.  I do not use anything for sclerotherapy, I have good eye sight, and anything else gets in my way.  My partner likes the VeinWave system.  More important is finding someone with good experience, who understands the different medications and concentrations that work best for different size veins, etc.Good luck to you.

Scott Powell, MD
Denton General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

Sclerotherapy should be done by the surgeon not the nurse. Do not need veinlite, Need loup magnifications and experience

Veinlite

Although I prefer to do sclerotherapy using a veinlite (as that is the way I trained), many people do not use one.  Most of the time if a reticular vein is feeding the spider veins it can be seen or felt.  I would say the most important thing would be the experience of the person doing the injections.  Using a veinlite cannot compensate for lack of experience so that is what you need to be concerned about before starting sclerotherapy treatment.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician