Uneven chin implant for the second time in a month. How soon can I have it out? Can it be through local anesthesia? (Photo)

First chin implant was along with rhino/bichectomy. First time didn't stay in place and hanged to one side due to bleeding. X-rays were taken to see the position of it and correct it. Second surgery a month after. Bandages came off after 10 days and it seems and is more to the right. I am sad and unhappy and I would like to have it removed. Thank you very much for any feedback.

Removal of chin implant

Removal of chin implant is very simple procedure and it can be done in local anesthesia using existing incision. Discuss this issue with your surgeon, please. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Removal of chin implant after second revision

While it would be possible to remove your chin implant 10 days after it was placed for the second time, I would not recommend that course of action yet.  You still have some swelling present 10 days after the procedure which will affect the appearance of your chin.  It is not uncommon to have more swelling on one side versus the other.  I really would try and wait at least 6 months to allow more healing to take place before you can begin to judge the result of your procedure.  If you still feel there is some asymmetry after 6 months, the implant could be removed.  It would be up to your surgeon if the procedure could be done under local anesthesia or not.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven chin implant for the second time in a month. How soon can I have it out? Can it be through local anesthesia?

Hi, sorry to hear about your issues with your chin implant.  You didn't mention if the chin implant was placed using a small incision, under the chin, or an intra-oral (inside the mouth) approach or if the implant was placed above and not below the periosteum which acts to stabilize the implant.  I don't use the intra oral approach because it allows the implant to move up and has other unwanted side effects.  The chin implant, if made of silastic, should be easily removed under a local anesthetic using a small, curved incision under the chin.  It's best to allow the tissues to heal for 1 month but the implant can be removed at anytime.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  I ask my Chin Implant patients to sleep on a U-shaped airline pillow for 1 month and refrain from strenuous activity for about 1 month and avoid feeling or touching the implant for the same period of time.

Hope this helps.