Why is my nose changing so drastically? (Photo)

I am almost 2 months post op and all the sudden I developed a bump on my nose. It looked beautiful at 6 weeks. What is going on :( I will mention I have thick skin. First Rhinoplasty and it was done closed.

Why does the nose change with time?

Hello and thank you for your question. In looking at your pictures a number of things may be going on and only time will tell which is the culprit.

#1. You may have developed a small amount of scar over the area of your bony takedown near the top 1/3 of your nose. If so try taping at night to see if compression helps.

#2. You may have developed supra tip scar which is accentuating the depression in your mid vault. If this is the case this should go away with time. Possibly a dilute steroid injection can improve this area. This makes sense especially if you have thick skin. I see this issue all the time and in nearly all cases it resolves.

#3. You mid vault may have sunk after the hump removal.

If this persists for greater than a 9 months then a small procedure can be done to correct any and all of these issues. Be patient and make sure to inform your surgeon of your worries.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery

You are very early in your post-operative recovery period, and swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. Certainly express your concerns to your surgeon, and follow his/her treatment recommendations to ensure the best result.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty

The swelling of the nose especially in the tip can last a year or sometimes longer. Be patient with the results.

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with 2 months after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling going down

Rhinoplasty has a very long healing time table. Generally speaking it takes about 3 months for swelling and healing to be 75% down. Your bridge (the bony part) generally does rise up as swelling goes down. Rather the mid-vault or cartilage of the middle of your nose may be sinking. This can certainly happen after hump removal or other bony work if the mid vault is not rebuilt. Allow time for additional healing and if the sunken middle persists you may need to consider revision. This could be a small procedure. 

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon