I'm 72 had arm lift because I lost 125 lbs.

The surgery was Aug 9 2016. I'm still bruised and red and have bad burning sensations. The stitches were placed inside. I have ripples along the scar line and assume it where the stitches are. I thought the pain and burning might be because the stitches are finally letting go on the inside. Seems as time goes on and this continues the ripples and scar lays flatter. I'm using a gel the surgeon gave me to help the scar to be less noticeable. Any information will be a help.

Help with arms.

Thanks for your questions. Most of your description sounds normal, however, I think it would be very useful to be re-examined by your surgeon if the redness and pain get worse. Arm lift scarring can have burning sensations which respond nicely to vibratory massage. If the burning sensations get worse you might consider a gaba based medicine to reduce these sensations. Best, Dr.ALDO

Bruising and burning after arm lift

What you're describing sounds normal to me. There will be unusual sensations you'll experience as your body heals, as nerves grow back, and as scarring grows and resolves. Also, it is very common to have rippling and unevenness of the scars, and this can resolve significantly within the coming months. Give it at least six months before you make a final determination as to the result.

Bryan C. McIntosh, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon