Should I use Retin A gel (tretinoin) 0.1% every night? (Photo)

had acne since i was 13 and now im 31 i still have alot of clogged pores and get spots. ive used hundreds of different over the counter products and even tried chemical peels but nothing has worked. recently been using benzoyl peroxide gel 10% and at first i was dry and flakey but my skin got used to it and it stopped. It helped with the spots but not the clogged pores. ive just bought retin a gel (tretinoin) 0.1% and used it last night with hardly any irritation should i use every night?

Use of Retin-A

Retin-A is a drug and should be used under the direction of a physician. If ups use it, you should use it every night and will get some reaction. If you don't, you are getting no benefit from it. This reaction will, however, go away just like that from the benzoyl peroxide. The real question is whether you need Retin-A or not. There are other means of unclogging the pores that can work quite well. However, if you have significant scars from the acne, then Retin-A may be the most reasonable thing to use. I would see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist with significant experience in skin rejuvenation and treatment of acne.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Retin-A gel

Thank you for your question. In my experience, starting Retin-A gel every other night helps minimize the risks of any irritation or redness, and after a couple of weeks, if there is still no irritation or redness, then using the gel nightly will be fine. I suggest you consult with your prescribing physician regarding your questions and treatment. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD