Can I take Bromelain and arnica before my surgery?

Arnica and Bromelain?

There is no scientific evidence that either of these compounds help reduce bruising or swelling.  However, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that these can help in some patients.  I would check with your board certified plastic surgeon and see if they have any objections to it.  I hope this helps.

Arnica Montana is a homeopathic drug that is claimed to reduce bruising and swelling. Anecdotally, many patients and plastic surgeons feel that Arnica does have a benefit. There are, however, conflicting reports in the valid scientific literature about these claims. Bromelin (Bromelain), another homeopathic
medication, is a mixture of enzymes found naturally in the juice and stems of pineapples and also purported to reduce swelling, bruising, inflammation and pain after surgery. This supplement, which is often taken along with Arnica, is also controversial with regard to efficacy.
I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally
a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. It is critical that he or she should be aware of all medications, supplements, minerals, vitamins, and herbs that you are taking, because they may interfere with normal blood coagulation, healing, and anesthesia.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question and congratulations on your upcoming mommy makeover.  Bromelain and arnica can both be safely taken prior to surgery to try and reduce postoperative swelling and bruising.  Be sure to inform your surgeon of your plans, however.  Hope this helps.

Bromelain and Arnica Before a Mommy Makeover

It depends on what your board-certified Plastic Surgeon recommends according to your procedure and medical records. She or he will discuss your pre-op preparations before your surgery. Also, such supplements  may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions that you will need in time for recovery. 

Tummy Tuck - Can I Take Arnica Prior To Surgery?

Thank you for your question. It is best to check with your board certified plastic surgeon regarding what medications and supplements you should avoid prior to surgery. Hope this helps and good luck!

Supplement usage with surgery

Thank you for this wonderful question! Bromelain and Arnica are supplements that I utilize with my patients for post-operative care. Bromelain is wonderful for helping to reduce swelling and Arnica is wonderful in helping to reduce bruising and discomfort. Due to the anti-inflammatory effects of these supplements I prefer for my patients to refrain from taking them until after their surgery is complete. I suggest following up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as he/she may vary in their preferred pre-post surgical treatment. Communication is always the key when including or excluding any additional items to your surgical recovery plan. I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck!

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Bromelain and arnica

We recommend both of these homeopathic treatments to all of our patients.  There's no harm in taking it before surgery but you should ask your Plastic Surgeon and follow his instructions.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery - are bromelain and arnica ok?

Thank you for asking about your bromelain and arnica.Please get clearance from your own plastic surgeon before using arnica or bromelain. I generally allow my patients to take these - but not for every patient or every procedure. And research suggests that their effects are fairly limited and most people don't use them or feel they need them - but risks are low. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Yes, many patients and my personal opinion is that Arnica Montana may be be beneficial in preventing bruising. We have them start before surgery and continue during the first week afterwards. Arnica gel is also helpful for topical use over bruises.
Bromelain may also be helpful (see below link)

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon