Is this normal bruising for 54 hours after a transaxillary breast augmentation? (Photos)

The bruising has become quite dark and large in less than 24hrs. I'm concerned with it being the holiday weekend and not being able to get ahold of my Dr. Office. Should I be concerned?

Is This Normal Bruising 24 Hours Post Transaxillary Breast Augmentation?

The bruising demonstrated in your photographs is neither normal nor abnormal.

Bruising is a result of broken red blood cells which have released their hemaglobin which is a pigment, and when this pigment consolidates in one location, it can be any color from red to blue to very dark, almost black.

Injury to blood vessels occurs 100% of the time in breast augmentations.  Very often, these red blood cells are washed out of the breast implant pocket before they settle into the tissue and then condense in any one location.  Also, bruising of the nature your photographs depict is less often seen when a plastic surgeon uses a post augmentation drain. 

The bruising at the bottom of your breast is directly related to gravity.  All plastic surgeons get bruising at one time or another, and all types of routes of entry to the breast implant pocket also get bruising. 

All that being said, your bruising should resorb within the next 2-3 weeks.  However, I have seen bruising last over 1 month when present on breast skin. 

If you were my patient and you had the bruising you show us, I would recommend DMSO which opens choke vessels (a redundant blood supply everywhere on the body).  The more vessels present in any area, the more white blood cells get out into the tissue and literally eat up the heam and take it away.

I am certain that your plastic surgeon has someone on call for weekend emergencies, even for the 4th of July weekend.  I recommend you call him or her to advise of your concerns. 

Excessive Bruising

If you are unable to see your surgeon, there should be someone covering them or you could be seen at the ER if the breast is becoming firmer or more painful. At this point without an in-person exam, it is difficult to determine if you have significant bruising or a hematoma.

All the best

Bruising and breast augmentation

You do have a lot of bruising, and it may represent a hematoma. Best to touch base with your doctor or his coverage to be sure it is normal.

Is this normal bruising for 54 hours after a transax breast augmentation?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I see your area of concern and though there is a fair amount of bruising present the most important first step is to rule out a hematoma.  Bruising will resolve spontaneously given enough time, but a hematoma may require surgical drainage.  If you have noticed one breast to be more painful, have worsening bruising, or is more swollen it would be best to see your surgeon for an in-person examination.  Though a holiday, your doctor should be available, or one of his partners.  Hope this helps.

Brusing after surgery

Bruising without swelling is usually without significant concern but your bruising appears fairly extensive and I would recommend checking in with your surgeon even though it is a holiday weekend.  If their is any asymmetry with the bruised side being larger, this would be a potential sign of a hematoma.  Hematoma formation after breast augmentation is uncommon but when it does occur, it usually requires surgery to correct.  Hematomas with breast augmentation surgery are usually accompanied by a rapid change in size of the breast as well as pain.