I'm having several issues with my breast implants and need advice on how to handle it with my PS. (Photo)

i have an ever growing gap between my breast, my left breast has dropped a lot lower, my right breast seems much smaller, I think I'm experiencing mucle banding in both breast ( I can feel a constant pulling on my lower breast ) and they seem to be heading towards my armpits! I'm 48 5'4 110 pounds. We used Mentor Smooth Round High Profile Saline 350cc in my right and 340cc in my left. How do I discuss this with my PL without getting upset? What should I expect of him?

Explain your concerns

Explain exactly what you have expressed here.  Do it in a reasonable and non accusatory way, and they should fix the problems for you.  These are technical issues with the first surgery.  Become irate, and expect resistance.

I'm having several issues with my breast implants and need advice on how to handle it with my PS.

It seems like your tissues have stretched causing your shape to change. This is not necessarily anyone's fault, either your surgeon's or anything you did. It is really a function of your tissue characteristics. Speak honestly with your surgeon about what bothers you, but don't have the conversation from the viewpoint of laying blame. There are options for improving your shape, but they will require additional surgery.

Anatomy and implants

Changes due to many factors can cause implants to not appear ideal. Thin tissue can contribute to this problem. Best to be seen in person. Good luck.

Implant issues

Best to seek a few paid in person opinions so you can obtain ideas to revision before you discuss this with your surgeon c

Breast implant problems

At 48, and extremely thin, your tissue elasticity is not great. Consequently, your larger and therefore heavier saline implants are descending and lateralizing. This can happen to anyone.

You don't say if they are above or below the muscle. I prefer gel under the muscle is very thin patients and have them wear a specific bra for 3 months 24/7 to minimize this risk.

You can tell that from your early photo, the surgeon put them in "properly" but over time your body hasn't held them in the right position. You can see from your preop photo just how steeply outward your chest wall angles and this sets you up for the current problem by gravity. A revision can help but you need to maintain a good and calm relationship with your surgeon. 

Implants changing position

It's difficult to say for certain not knowing exactly how your implants were place and how far after surgery you are.  It appears you have increasing stretch of the lower pole of the breast or more likely bottoming out if your surgeon needed to lower your infra mammary fold when placing the implants.

Bottoming out can occur when lowering the fold and especially with smooth implants.  

This should be easily approached with your plastic surgeon.  Let him or her  know your concerns.  They should be able to provide the options.

Ryan Diederich, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Slight Gap Between Breast?

Thank you for your question and picture!  I advise you to go see your plastic surgeon and explain to him everything you just said.  He will know how to fix and correct the problem from working on your body.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Talk to your surgeon

Your concerns are valid and you should be able to openly discuss these with your surgeon. He may suggest revision surgery. Just make sure you are comfortable and the plan is explained to you in detail. It is important to remember that malposition of implants after breast augmentation can and does happen but it can be corrected.

Issue with Breast Implants

Thank you for providing the before and after photos, as they are very helpful in understanding your concerns. Without examining you in person and knowing more about the procedure used by your plastic surgeon, it's impossible to know exactly what happened, but I do have some theories based on your size and petite frame. In response to your question about how to discuss this with your plastic surgeon, it's best to be calm, direct and honest. Let him or her know exactly what you are experiencing and he or she should be able to provide you with some solutions for correction/revision. Best of luck to you.

Thin Tissue Envelope

You are a petite women with a thin tissue envelope.  The migration of your implants is something that does happen.  It's difficult for the body to hold back the mass of an implant sometimes and the implant stretches the tissue in a manner and a direction that we would not prefer.  A 350 cc implant weighs over 3/4 of a pound.  That is a lot of weight on thin tissue.  You may have to live with it.  It is difficult to correct this and move your implants upward and towards the middle.  Discuss it with your surgeon.