Can this be revised? (Photo)

I had a horrific botched Labiaplasty. I am so desperate for help. I'm most concerned about the scar tissue, and amount of scalloping. It's uncomfortable and has taken a huge toll on my self esteem.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I am sorry to hear about your current situation.  I would recommend seeking the opinion of an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if this requires traveling.  There are several types of surgeons who promote themselves as performing cosmetic genital surgery, but a Cosmetic Urologist can offer unique qualifications compared to plastic surgeons, gynecologists and general urologists. 

Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty

yes, this can be revised by performing a secondary labia minora reduction with a trim method. This will trace the rim of the labia minora so that you can have a neat, clean edge.

Scalloping from suture technique following labiaplasty

Thank you for your question and photo.  I agree with you that it isn't a desired aesthetic result.  Depending on how far out you are from the surgery, I would wait 6 months at least to have a revision and most importantly, make sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with labiaplasty's.

Chad Robbins, MD

I agree with your assessment

and that you have less than what would be considered an aesthetic result and revisions can always be done. BUT you don't say how far out from surgery you are and it does matter.  Wait at least 6 months from your procedure date and keep your surgeon informed of your concerns if it isn't getting better and allow him/her to provide you options from which you can choose.  If you're meeting resistance or lose confidence, then you will need a second opinion.  Best wishes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Suture effect in labiaplasty

Cosmetic surgery always demands a level of satisfaction, and I am sorry your satisfaction has not been met.  The primary appearance is that of suture effect, so after your healing period you may want to look into avoiding suture, this can be done in a few ways.  It would be helpful to assess if the suture effect was present from surgery or if it is due to a property of healing.  You can explore these with your current surgeon or a second consultant. 

Labiaplasty revision for sawtooth scar deformities

As bad as the scars look, this can be revised to achieve a smooth clean look when you have healed sufficiently. Plan to visit an expert this time and wait until six months from the original procedure. There is plenty of tissue left from which to achieve an excellent result. This is not the result of a trim labiaplasty, but rather the result of an attempted trim labiaplasty without proper technique.

Sorry to learn of your problem.

I agree with my colleagues. No one can expect you to be happy with a result which you feel is far from acceptable, but the best way to move forward is to be evaluated by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can best determine how to help you after examining you. I think a minimum of three months after complete healing should transpire before considering any additional revision surgery, and preferably closer to six. Since you have already had an unfavorable outcome, I would recommend that you devote some time to doing careful research in selecting your next plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Botched labiaplasty

I reviewed your photo.  You had a trimming labiaplasty. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  I might do multiple wedge excisions to remove as much scalloping as possible. Depending on your clitoral hood, I might need to do clitoral hood flaps, which I invented. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Revision

thank you for your question. The answer is yes. If you are just a few weeks out my bet is it will look better. It could just be swollen. Good luck. 

John S Mancoll,MD 

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty results can they be improved?

I typically like for patients to be a minimum of three to six months out from their original surgery and then we can evaluate for possible improvements. If you are relatively soon out from surgery, then rest assured it is going to get better, I would recommend massage of those scalloped areas with aquaphor.  If you are 3-6 months out then go an get a second opinion from more than one board certified surgeon with a special interest and experience in labiaplasty. While I would need to examine you in person this can definitely be improved. 

Melinda Haws, MD