Is my mole cancerous or normal? (photos)

I have recently noticed a mole under my arm (armpit) and it looks like the mole has a tiny bubble sticking out. I'm worried it might be cancerous, should I have it removed or checked out???

Is this mole cancerous?

It is always difficult to tell from a photograph, so to be safe your mole should be carefully evaluated. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Worried about Mole

If you have any concerns at all about a mole, the thing to do is to schedule an appointment with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and let them examine and suggest if removal is necessary.The rule for me is that if you are asking if it should be examined, it should be.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Cosmetic Mole Removal -- Lasers, Radiowave, Shave -- See an Expert

If you are concerned with a mole please remove in the office, this can be done by any cosmetic dermatologist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Is my mole cancerous or normal?

You raise a very good question. I inform my patients that any new skin lesion or one that has changed should be evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist. A good rule of thumb is that if it concerns the patient, it should be investigated. A complete history including a personal history of previous skin issues, medical and surgical history is very important. In addition, family history of skin cancers and the types of those cancers is critical to developing a treatment plan. Depending on how the lesion looks under magnification will determine if further workup or treatment is necessary, including biopsy or removal. Once at your physcians office they will likey provide you with information on how to identify suspicious lesions, commonly referred to as the ABCD's of moles. Good luck

Bram Kaufman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon