What age is too old to get a breast reduction? I am 61 but pain and discomfort have me thinking about the surgery.

Breast reduction age

I have performed breast reductions on women in their 70’s without complications.However, you will experience pain and we provide pain medication.If you desire, you can stay at the hospital and receive IV pain medication but this is more expensive.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in Charlotte, NC

Great question:  If you are healthy, 61 is certainly not old.  I am 54 and I don't think that is old.  If you have had discomfort from the large or heavy nature of your breasts, a breast reduction will be a true change of life.  On my website there are good blogs on the common questions  and technique of minimal scar breast reduction.  I do have many patients in their 50 and 60s.  The surgery is about 3 hours and you could go home or stay overnight in Charlotte.  All the surgery is done in my accredited surgical center, with an anesthesiologist ( MD).  This is the highest safety standards.  If I can help you, please call or visit our site, thanks jaditesheim md

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

What age is too old to get a breast reduction? I am 61yo, but pain and discomfort have me thinking about the surgery.

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Am I too old for a breast reduction????

Please give yourself some credit.  You have many years left in front of you.  If you are experiencing neck, back, and shoulder pains due to large pendulous breasts, then a breast reduction is a great choice.  Obviously, your physician will go over your medical history  as well.  I think that the biggest regret that you will have after surgery is that you waited so long. Please go see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress.

What age is to old to get a breast reduction?

age is not an issue . if you(and it sounds like you do) have the approate symtoms. you would qualify for insurance coverage for a breast reduction, consult a plastic surgeon with expertise in breast reduction surgery.

William Lambeth, MD (retired)
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and age limitations

If you are in good health you should be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  If you have multiple symptoms related to large breasts it will be the best thing you have ever done.  

What age is too old to get a breast reduction?

If your health is good you should definitely consider having the surgery. The improvement in lifestyle can be dramatic and it is a low risk operation with a short recovery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You are absolutely not “too old” for the breast reduction procedure  assuming you are “cleared" for the procedure by your medical doctor.  Hopefully, your only regret after the procedure, will be that you wish you had done it sooner in life.  Breast reduction is one of the most patient pleasing operations we do.
Please make sure you select your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate your goals carefully as well.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Too Old for Breast Reduction?

Age is less of a factor than health. Many women in their 60's and 70's have breast reduction surgery. As long as you get clearance from your doctor for surgery, you should have no problems. Most women only regret that they didn't have the surgery sooner! Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing procedures done. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Age limit for a breast reduction.

There is no age limit. The older you get, the harder will be to carry a heavy breast. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon and get a good evaluation from your PCP to make sure you are in good shape to undergo anesthesia, the same applies to any age and any surgery. Breast reductions are cover by insurance because a large heavy breast is a burden to your health. Good luck!