Lower lid orbicularis (korean love band). Any suggestions?

i had an aggressive LL bleph and dr removed the muscle at my lower lashline. i have been reading about permanent alloderm (not avail in the US) a plane is separated just deep to the muscle , i dont know why this causes problems , is it because of the alloderm? could it be done with hard palate graft ? thanks for your answers

Lower eyelid reconstruction

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Your case has transform into a reconstructive one. The replacement of the tissues with alloderm or palate is based on the surgeons preference. the palate has the benefit of being softer when in contact to the lower eyeball. The bottom line is that neither of them will are a perfect replacement for the missing muscle. Unfortunately there are not better options.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

I see complications from the love band surgery.

The alloderm is resorbed after several months.  You are absolutely correct that your surgery damaged your lower eyelids.  Hard palate graft has an epithelium and is not appropriate for internal grafting so no it is not used inside the eyelid.  However, hard palate is used to shape the lower eyelid and it does help restore some dimension to the eyelid.  These are very complicated reconstructions and you absolutely need to find an expert is this type of repair.  Just finding any oculoplastic surgeon will not do.

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for sharing your case.  It is difficult to give any recommendations without a photo.  I recommend a consultation with a board certified oculoplastic surgeon to review your options and make a plan to address your concerns.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon