What type of breast implants are available and best for reconstruction?

I am a 57 year old woman with BRCA1 mutation. I am having nipple sparing bilateral mastectomies with immediate reconstruction with implants. I would like to know the most current and best implants that are available. Also, can my breasts be lifted or perkier with this type of reconstruction? Thank you.

Implant breast reconstruction

Each manufacturer has implants that will meet your needs.  Without at an exam and your photos it is difficult to give you any more guidance.  I use 3D imaging for everyone but once again it is done with you to give you an individualized plan.

What types of Implants are Available?

I am sure your surgeon will discuss the various implant currently available for your reconstruction.  However, I will give you my recommendation relative to the implants that I use and why.  Breast reconstruction was primarily done with a saline or traditional breast implant.  Because of the less than natural feel of the saline implant I moved to traditional silicone implant approximately 15 years ago. I have since then gone to the high tension gel implant (gummy bear) for several reasons.  1. Most studies indicate that there is less of a chance of scarring around the high tension gel implant 2. It feels just as natural as the traditional implant 3. There is much less of a risk of the leakage of silicone into your body in the event of rupture of the implant.  I decided to switch because of a safety issue and have not been disappointed with the implant after 1,000 cases. Good Luck   

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Direct to implant reconstruction

This type of reconstruction is best for women with not a lot of ptosis or very large breasts.  There are many excellent implants available for reconstruction.  Best to review this with your surgeon.

Excellent questions.

Any and all implants are available to you for immediate breast reconstruction. There are also techniques available to change your nipple position before, during, or after your reconstruction. 

All of your excellent questions should be discussed with your plastic surgeon. If you feel you still have questions, I suggest a follow up appointment or communication with your surgeon. If you still feel there are unanswered questions, a second opinion with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon may put your mind at ease. 

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon