What procedures do you think I need on my chin/neck? (photos)

I am a 34 yr old female. I would like to have more definition in my neck. Not just to improve my appearance now, but to help with the aging process later. This weak chin and flabby neck is genetic, but I am also about 20 lbs heavier than my ideal weight. I have seen how this face shape ages over time in my other family members, and I don't like it!! What procedures do you think I need? Will a chin implant with lipo give me the results I am after? Or do I need something like a neck lift?

Liposuction alone makes such a big improvement in most patients.

Liposuction should do very well by itself under local to give a better looking jawline and neck and is so easy to undergo.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. The Laser Assisted Necklift can provide you with your desired results. It combines liposuction with a revised necklift technique to provide a smoother and shorter recovery and a natural-looking result. I suggest that you consult with a single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face and Neck

Thank you for your question. There are many different types of facelifts to choose from. I have pioneered the Concept Facelift which is performed under local anaesthetic and addresses the mid to lower face. I make a very small incision in front of the ear and use absorbable stitches. The scars are slightly red for a couple of weeks but after a month you can hardly notice them. This is one of the main differences between the Concept facelift and a more traditional facelift which has a much larger scar. Another difference is that as I perform this surgery under local anaesthetic the recovery time is much quicker. There is also no need for drains or bandages and you will be in and out of the clinic within a few hours. Bruising is minimal - if any and there is only a small bit of swelling for the first few days post surgery. You can also combine your facelift with a neck lift. This gives fantastic results and goes hand in hand. Liposuction can also remove the fat in the neck but I would advice having a neck lift if you have lipo so that you do not have any sagging skin. I would advise to do your research and go for consultations. Try and ask lots of questions and hopefully you will find the right surgeon to achieve your desired look. I wish you all the best.

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

What procedures do you think I need on my chin/neck?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat in front of and below the cheeks as well as in the neck, jowls are present and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.   Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective. "Jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Hope this helps.

Chin implant and neck liposuction

It is very common for me to perform those procedures simultaneously as most people who have a weak chin typically have some excess submittal fat as well. The procedures can be done at the same time to restore some tightness to the neck tissues while advancing your chin forward to give you more of a 90 degree angle to your neck and chin region. An anatomic chin implant would be best as it is more natural. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and liposuction - or neck lift

Thank you for asking about your neck lift.
  • Based on your photos, a neck lift with removal of excess fat, tightening the muscle and if needed, the skin combined with an extended chin implant is probably your best procedure.
  • Liposuction alone may not give you a smooth result or the definition you are looking for.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Options to improve angulation and definition in the neck.

Before a patient could be candidate for a surgery, they have to be in great health. If a patient is in good health, then I look at the anatomy to guide my recommendations.  As you can see, age is not a primary factor in my recommendations.When looking at your anatomy you have:  1) Excess skin in the neck  2) Poorly defined jawline  3) Jowls  4) Weak Chin  You have a heavy neck and excess fat in the neck.  For this reason, I would suggest:1) Neck lift 2) Chin Implant 3)  Direct liposuction of the Jowls4)  Platysmaplasty with removal of sub plastysmal fatThese procedures will provide a long elegant and defined jawline.  Before moving forward with a surgery, I would suggest that you get within 10 pounds of your ideal weight. Other options such as neck liposuction and nonsurgical neck tightening procedures could be considered. While those other options will give an improvement, none of them will be able to give you as good as a result as the above-mentioned surgical plan.  I hope this helps.

Neck lift and chin implant candidate

At age 34, the skin tone should be acceptable, therefore a neck lift can accomplish removal of fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in addition to a platysma plasty to improve the jawline.  A chin implant can also be inserted to give  added projection to the chin to help with facial balance and proportions, and is complementary to the neck procedure.  It is also important to  be at your ideal body weight before undergoing any cosmetic procedure and the neck.   For many chin implant/ neck lift before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Necklift with chin implant

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a necklift with a chin implant.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD