Can it all be done with one incision? (photos)

I am a 34 yr old female with excess fat/tissue under the neck and weak chin. I want to have a more defined neck/jaw line. After researching here on RS, I think I need a chin implant, lipo of the neck, and a platysmaplasty. Can all of this be done using the same submental incision? I don't want to have a full neck lift with incisions around the ears and in the hairline. What would recovery be like after having all of these procedures? How long for head wrap? Lifting restrictions? Thank you.

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Can it all be done with one incision?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak, there is excess fat and loose skin under the chin and across the neck..  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Yes, the same incision is used to perform the liposuction and remove some of the excess skin.  The Platysma can't be properly plicated without a full neck lift as this creates a central flat portion of the neck (below the chin) with bunched up tissue on either side in the neck.  The purpose of the full neck lift is to dissect, flatten and lift all that bunched up tissue to the sides.

Hope this helps.

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for the Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift, which makes a small incision under the chin and a tiny incision behind each of the ears. Liposuction is then performed to remove any excess fat to restore a more youthful look to the neck and jawline. Recovery is very simple - it is performed as an outpatient, same-day surgery. Most patients are able to resume their usual activities in less than one week. I suggest that you consult with a single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant, Sub-mental Liposuction and possible Buccal Fat pad Removal

Dear jnybecca, I would suggest that you seek consultation with some surgeons and discuss your aesthetic concerns and the possibilities of each procedure and how these would enhance your appearance. The sub-mental liposuction and chin augmentation can be performed through a small incision under the chin. If you were determined to be a candidate for buccal fat pad removal then this small incision is in the mouth at the gum line. Depending on the surgeon the neck lift incisions may vary. Chin augmentation, sub-mental liposuction, and buccal fat pad removal are all a very quick recovery with minimal downtime and the neck lift would be more involved. Your candidacy for these procedures would be best determined with a consultation. For examples of chin and neck liposuction see the link below and for the combined procedure the video above will show you an example. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport, Kybella

This cannot be performed with one incision even if liposuction was performed alone.  It would need three small ones.  I suggest a neck lift as well but liposuction, implant can be performed as a less invasive option and give you improvement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Chin Implant, Neck Liposuction and Neck Rejuvenation Using just One Incision

A chin implant and neck liposuction can be done with one small incision under the chin. I suggest you strongly consider a neck lift with incisions behind the ear to rejuvenate your neck by removing the significant amount of excess skin and sagging in your neck.

Neck lift and chin implant candidate

As long as the skin tone is adequate, a necklift and chin implant can accomplish the goals of rejuvenating the neck. In our practice, we perform a neck lift by making three small incisions that are each approximately 1 inch long. They are simply access incisions. There's one located underneath the chin and a 1 inch incision behind each ear in the crease. There's no skin removal required. In our practice., we do not use bandages  or head wraps, however we Jackson-Pratt drains for 2 days after the procedure to drain the blood out and prevent bruising.

One incision

Yes, all of the above can be achieved through a single submental (under the chin) incision. I would also add Thermitight to the list as it will help against getting too much loose wrinkled skin after liposuction. RegardsDr. Janjua

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck

jnybecca, you can have this done with a single incision under the chin should that indeed be all you need. An exam would determine that of course. Not a fan of closed liposuction the neck; for the body it makes perfect sense but in the neck (don't get me started on the face!) it is not ideal. Without the surgeon making a larger incision and actually seeing the 3D anatomy of the neck the tendency can be for the surgeon to over "suck" fat and give the patient a hollow and/or atrophic look which over time can become more obvious (since we tend to lose facial fat as we age). I much prefer what I call "open liposculpture" where I can visually assess the 3D anatomy of the neck, remove the offending fat and leave the good fat (yes some fat is actually good). This approach that I've developed over the past 25 years has yielded much more predictably good results that last over time and look natural. See more than one surgeon and choose physicians that specialize in facial aesthetics. Evaluate their photos, lots of them, ask questions and you’ll most likely end up with good results.

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Submental fullness versus neck

While the answer to your question is "YES, it can be done through one incision" it is important to understand the defect and other techniques to correct it.First you have several problems that require different treatments.  Included are submental lipodystrophy - fat de[positsSecond is a recessive chinThird is an inherited neck anatomy with a sloping neck line that anatomically is due to an anterior hyoid boneLiposuction is helpful.  Fortunately you appear to have excellent skin for this.  A chin support should be worn for at least a week continuously except for showering, and part time for several weeks until the swelling is gone.A chin implant would also be helpful.The neck anatomy is what it is and cannot be changed significantly.  Facelift in some patients may help but not correct this.You may want to consider the Thermitight to reduce the fat and tighten the skin, although I recommend liposuction instead if you decide to do the chin implant

Richard O. Gregory, MD