If I have heart disease, can I still get a breast augmentation?

I have Mitral Valve Prolapse.

Heart disease and breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Your heart disease does not necessarily prevent you from getting a breast augmentation. At my practice, I would just require you to get an EKG, full blood count, and a medical clearance letter before moving forward with a breast augmentation. Good Luck!

Heart disease and BBA

Hi and thanks for the question. It is entirely possible to have a breast augmentation with mitral valve prolapse, however, in my practice you would require preoperative medical / cardiac clearance to make sure that you are healthy enough for the procedure. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

With mitral valve prolapse, is a breast augmentation ok?

Mitral valve prolapse is very common.  Unless it is causing you symptoms, this condition generally does not put you at any additional risk when having a breast augmentation.  Check with your primary care physician and/or cardiologist and they will assess your risk.  Most likely, you will be cleared for surgery.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Heart disease and breast augmentation

Mitral valve prolapse does not automatically disqualify you from surgery. It usually is not a serious condition. I think the safest approach is to get clearance from your medical doctor or cardiologist. This can make you feel much more confident going into surgery.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

MVP and breast augmentation

Assuming your mitral valve prolapse is asymptomatic, it should not present any issues for anesthesia or breast augmentation.  I have treated many patients with MVP.  You should have your surgeon and cardiologist discuss the role of antibiotics, which has changed recently.  Be sure to choose a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. 

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mitral valve prolapse and breast augmentation surgery

Mitral valve prolapse poses no increased risk for surgery. The anesthesiologist will request confirmation from your medical doctor that your health is stable prior to proceeding with surgery. I have had many patients with this condition. Good luck to you. 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  It depends…
Your cardiologist will be your best resource when it comes to determining whether or not you should entertain undergoing elective surgery. Assuming, your cardiologist does give you "clearance" to proceed, please be careful to select your plastic surgeon, anesthesiologist, and surgery facility carefully. Best wishes.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. You would need to be cleared for elective surgery by your Cardiologist, Primary Care Doctor and Anesthesiologist prior to moving forward to determine what is the most safe for you.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. I have performed breast augmentation in patients with MVP, as long as they have full medical clearance from their cardiologist.  Safety is always the top priority.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

If I have heart disease can I still get a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Remembering that a breast augmentation is an elective aesthetic procedure it is important to minimize the risk of surgery by optimizing all other medical conditions.  MVP does not eliminate the possibility of a breast augmentation but you should have medical clearance by your cardiologist and anesthesiologist to undergo surgery.  Hope that this helps.