Is it time for eyelid surgery? (photos)

What is the down time? What is the cost? Local or general anesthesia? In office procedure? Scars? Thank You!!

Upper lids

PT567, I would be considering a lateral or 3/4 endoscopic brow lfit, depending on your exam. You can research this on the Internet and view the video. Your upper lids look aged due to the inferior to medial rotation of your brows not to primary blepharochalasis. Good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of surgery

Elective surgery may be timed at your convenience or at a time when the appearance or function is bothersome to you. It appears that you have brow ptosis and ptosis of the eyelids - surgical correction may be done in the office with down time of 1-2 weeks, but there is a longer healing process for complete healing. Makeup may be used to cover the evidence of surgery. The cost varies by region, by technique, and by site of surgery office versus surgery center. Surgery in a private office is less expensive because there is no facility fee and usually no anesthesia fee. Any time you have an incision, you will have a scar, but the goal is to hide the scar - the lid incision is hidden in the lid crease - the brow incision may be hidden behind the hairline or close to the brow cilia for direct lift.  Best wishes on your decisions!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Your Eyelids

Thank you for sharing your case and photos.  I think that you would be an ideal candidate for blepharoplasty and possibly a conservative brow lift.  This can either be done in the office under local anesthesia or in an outpatient surgery center with IV sedation.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified surgeon to begin the process together and discuss your goals.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

You should go for consultation and be evaluated in person.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward!

Your eyes

You really need to be seen in person to let you know what needs to be done --- what you want and what can be done and what it will cost. Quotes and surgical suggestions over the internet are inaccurate.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

A blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery is remarkable in it's ability to rejuvenate the eye area and create a refreshed look.  When does one require such surgery?  With time and age the skin of the upper and lower lids stretch and the compartments of fat surrounding the eye begin to bulge.  Eyelid or blepharoplasty surgery removes the extra skin and sculpts the bulging fat.  When properly performed by a surgeon who has an artist eye and hand, the scars should be minimal and the lids should appear natural, without changing the shape or appearance of the eyelids.  It is an outpatient surgery.  Some surgeons prefer local anesthesia and some, as I prefer a combination of local anesthesia to numb the area and general anesthesia to keep you comfortably asleep during the procedure.  It truly opens the eyes and is very rejuvenating.

Yes, Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty

Every patient must decide in consultation with a board-certified eyelid surgery expert whether or not it is "time for eyelid surgery." You did not state your age, yet your photos demonstrate heaviness of the upper eyelid area which is expected from the aging process A straight-on, front photo would help to see if any eyelid muscle weakness (Ptosis) is also present. You also show common aging changes in the area between the eyebrows and around the eyes. My suggestion is likely an upper eyelid Blepharoplasty along with Botox/Xeomin to the area between the brows and around the eyes -- this treatment could also help some with the eyebrow position.  I perform this routinely in my office, under local anesthesia. Scarring in my patients is extremely minimal with this procedure as the incision is hidden in the eyelid crease.  Down time is really just 24 hours of cool compresses and taking it easy for 1 week.  Bruising lasts about 1-2 weeks.  Best of luck!

Damon B. Chandler, MD
Moorestown Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for an upper eyelid bleparoplasty.  If good technique is used, there should be no visible scars.  Down time is usually 7 days.  This can be done under local anesthesia in the office.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Upper eye bleph

You have some excess skin and probably some ptosis as well.   These can be fixed with surgery.  It also looks like you have a low temporal brow.  This can be elevated with a temporal brow lift which will help to decrease the heaviness of the outer lid.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery

Thanks for posting your photos.For Eyelid surgery the operation time is 1 hour under local anesthesia and it can be performed in the office.After three month you will have an invisible scar.In between 5-7 days you can go back to your social life.Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.Good luck.

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon