Am I a candidate for an abdominoplasty?

I am 60 years old & have hypothyroidism, high cholesterol and third stage kidney disease and am otherwise, healthy.

Candidate for Abdominoplasty

Thanks for your question.  You would actually have to see your medical doctor to get clearance before surgery.  This is to make sure that you are healthy enough to safely undergo general anesthesia.  An abdominoplasty is a long procedure, typically 3 hours, and the recovery process is fairly uncomfortable.  But as long as your medical problems are under control, it is possible to still have an abdominoplasty.  I hope this helps. 

Abdominoplasty questions

Thank-you for the question.  DIscuss your concerns with your PCP and your nephrologist.  You will need their medical clearance for this operation.  Also, talk to a PS.  I think you are wise to ask this question.  Good luck!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for an abdominoplasty?

It is difficult to give a yes or no answer, particularly with some underlying medical issues and no photos or clinical examination.I would recommend you see your medical doctors to get clearance for a general anesthetic as well as see a board certified plastic surgeon to ensure that he/she feels that you are a suitable candidate as well. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you get clearance from your Endocrinologist, Primary care doctor and your Nephrologist prior to determine if you are a candidate for elective surgery.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy tuck candidate with medical problems?

When considering a tummy tuck, your medical history is important.  If your plastic surgeon has evaluated you and feels that you are a tummy tuck candidate, then you will need clearance for the surgery  from your primary care doctor and your kidney doctor.  If all doctors are in agreement, then you should be able to proceed with the tummy tuck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Age is not a sole determinant of candidacy for abdominoplasty. I recommend full consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your anatomy, goals, and health problems to determine what would be best for you. Best of luck.

Am I a candidate for an abdominoplasty?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your research into a tummy tuck procedure.  If your medical doctors have optimized your health and cleared you for surgery I would advise seeing a series of board certified plastic surgeons in consultation to discuss your desired treatment goals and surgical options.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend you meet with your medical physician and discuss this surgery.  If he/she gives you medical clearance for surgery, then you can procedure forward.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck

Provided your medical doctor feels that you are an appropriate for surgery, you can have a tummy tuck despite your multiple medical problems. None of them by themselves or even collectively preclude you from having elective surgery.