Can a plastic surgeon who performs blepharoplasty lift the corners of my eyes even if they don't specifically offer canthopexy?

I can't find a surgeon in my entire state who offers canthopexy, but I've been told that blepharoplasty doesn't always have to be the usual reduction of sagging eyelids and baggy under eyes. I really want my eyes to be a bit enlarged and lifted at the corners for a more upturned look. Is this even possible? Will I have to find an out of state surgeon?

Canthopexy will not accomplish what you think it will accomplish.

Lateral canthoplasty or sexy is not a cosmetic surgery.  It is a procedure that is used to support the corner of the eyelids.  In Korea, a procedure called canthoplasty is performed that attempts to advance the eyelid margin lateral.  It is a horribly disfiguring surgery.  I do not recommend it.  This is not what Western surgeons call canthoplasty or pexy.  Please understand that you are asking for a miscommunication between you and your potential surgeon.

Surgeon who offers canthopexy

Support of the outer aspect of the eyelids with a canthopexy can create an upturned look.  However, this procedure is not commonly performed in isolation.  My recommendation is to seek a consultation from an oculoplastic surgeon.

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

Canthopexy and Blepharoplasty

Making the eyes wider by increasing the palpebral distance is not an advisable procedure.  Nor is an attempt to lift the lateral canthus in most patients.  It is possible that you are meeting resistance from Surgeons because you are asking for a procedure that may not be suitable for you. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of sagging eyelids and bagginess

These are two separate problems and are not corrected by the same procedure.  A lower blepharoplasty can incorporate both in the procedure, but may not be the most appropriate treatment.  Get a second opinion from a fully qualified, reputable surgeon, even if you have to travel a distance.

Richard O. Gregory, MD