Green Tea, Fish Oil, Herbal/Vitamin Supplements After Breast Reduction?

I take daily doses of herbal supps to boost immune, stamina and maintenance, discontinued 10days pre op. I now 6 days post op, only took 1 dose of pain meds & immediately discontinued. I have substitued Valerian Root to ease slight discomfort, more restful state & opted for the anti-biotic properties of echinacea/goldenseal tincture over the prescription, taken every 4hrs. Is it safe to resume supps like Siberian Ginseng, Green Tea, Nettle, etc? PS checked resume but no time frame indicated

Oral nutritional supplements after surgery

Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to answer this question.  In my opinion your supplements will not cause an increase in bleeding or any post operative complication at this point.  If you believe that they are helpful then continue.  

Supplements after Surgery

There are very few studies on the effects of supplements after surgery. Since you take many supplements, it is even harder to give a recommendation. I would wait a few weeks until you are fully healed.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Resuming Supplements after Breast Reduction Surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. At this point, it is likely that you will be able to resume preoperative medications/supplements..  However, given that your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care, best to check with him/her specifically.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure.

Supplements for surgery

Omega 3 fats (e.g. fish oil, EFA, flax seed oil, Krill oil), NSAID's (aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn), Vitamin E, "blood thinners" and a whole host of supplements and medicines can cause excessive bleeding and bruising and therefore increase your recovery time. When in doubt stay away from supplements unless they are designed for surgery. I offer to my patients specific supplements that speed healing, reduce swelling, bruising and in some cases minimize discomfort (for example Bromelain, Arnica Montanum, and Vitamins designed for surgery.

Bottom Line: Certain vitamins and minerals can speed healing others can cause problems and slow the process down or cause complications. If healing is going well I usually let my patients go back to their usual regimen of supplements

Check with your doctor as only your doctor would have access to your medical history and what would be best for you. We typically allow our patients to continue their supplements 10 days post op if their recovery is going well.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

When Can I Resume Supplements After Surgery?

In my practice, I require patients to discontinue any supplements that thin the blood such as Ginseng, Green Tea, Flax Seed, etc…for 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks post surgery.  Every practice is different so I would talk with your surgeon and follow his/her recommendations before self supplementing.

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS