Do you feel I would need a breast lift with my augmentation for good results? (Photo)

I've been considering implants for a few years to fill the upper pole of my breasts after weight loss but I'm not sure if I'm willing to take on the scars after a lift. Would it be worth it to do an augmentation without a breast lift?

Breast Lift Intended Result with Implants

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is used for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy. This is called an #Augmentation/Mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. 

#FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast. 

A hybrid operation may use both an implant and fat to provide the best contours of the lifted breast.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Implants and No Lift: This is usually a mistake. Most breasts will look larger and droopier.  They will sag more and sooner because of the excess weight.  The shape will usually not be satisfactory. There will sometimes be a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble.

If the nipples are in a fairly high position on the breast or “glandular” ptosis or drooping, an implant may be useful.

Do you feel I would need a breast lift with my augmentation for good results

An implant alone will fill in the upper pole of your breast but will not lift the new breast mound any higher on your rib cage. It will remain lower. If that is acceptable to you, then it is safe to proceed with only the implant an no lifting

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast lift or implants

Hello, thanks so much for your inquiry and your picture. Although you might need a lift in the future, you might get away without it for the moment.

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  Based on your photographs, you are on the borderline for needing a lift.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Augmentation without a breast lift.

It certainly can be worth it to have a breast augmentation without a breast lift. The need is relative and can depend on whether you feel the scar is worth the lift. 

Do I need a lift or just implants

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and possible lift.

• It may be fine to do an augmentation without a lift - if you don't need a lift.
  • In the front photo, you look borderline for a lift 
  • But an examination is necessary to know for sure.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Augmentation and lift

From the photo it is hard to tell; it appears to me that you may have pseudoptosis and even if the nipple is in good position some skin tightening may be required. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Matthias Solomon, MD

To lift or not to lift?

Hello. I'm sorry but it is difficult to say with the photos you have provided. Your are are actually lifting your breasts as you take the photo. That said I still feel like you could get away with a breast augmentation only. Using large implants with the correct placement can fill out your breast and give the illusion of a lift.This approach may leave your breasts hanging little low though. An in-person evaluation or front and side view photos with your arms to your sides would be best to make sure. You can repost you question or send an email to a PS of your choice for further evaluation.

If you do not wish to go up too much in size, a small lift like a Donut Lift with implants would be a good option. The scars would be hidden around the areolae only. This means you would basically have the same scars as you would from a normal breast augmentation.

Best of luck on your procedure

Dr. Miguel Mota

Miguel Mota, MD

Mastopexy with implants or implants alone

Breast Lift with Implants or Implants Alone

One of the more common scenarios that we as aesthetic plastic surgeons deal with in cosmetic breast surgery is the patient from either weight loss, or post pregnancy has a little bit of drop of the breast off of the chest wall that we call ptosis. The question then becomes in the patient's mind, can we just fill the space with an implant and create a youthful looking breast. It all depends on what the patient's perception of youthful is. My patients, more than likely, would like to have upper pole fullness of the breast without the necessity for wearing a push-up bra. In these situations, a breast lift plus an implant both centers the nipple and areola complex on the breast while replacing the lost volume with an implant. Most patients’ hesitation in doing the breast lift as well as implants, are the potential for bad scars. In my experience, we talk a lot about the scars of a breast lift preoperatively, but hardly ever in the postoperative phase. It seems to me, that when the breast is up high on the chest wall, youthful and perky, that one does not even see the scars. Most of the time, these incision lines heal uneventfully anyway. In the small chance that the scars are more red or thicker than one would like, we have many options in lasers, light sources, and laser assisted drug delivery techniques to mitigate against unsightly scars. Sometimes, patients who I've seen have seen other physicians who have recommended simply placing a large implant to "fill the space". This seems to be a very temporary fix for the situation in that the stretched out soft tissue that the implant is placed into, usually will allow very rapid descent of the breast, such that in just a few months, it looks like a bigger version of the breast that they first started with. They will then sometimes have a secondary mastopexy, and at that time, I would often recommend that they replace the very large implant with a smaller one. In my opinion, a large lift, meaning taking out as much of the stretched out skin as possible, and placing a more modest size implant will make a breast that will remain perky and up on the chest wall for a long period of time. In my opinion, perky breasts, not necessarily large breasts, look youthful. Patients will then ask, "why then does Dr. so-and-so tell me that I can just have implants?" My answer to this is very simple. It is far easier in most plastic surgeons’ skill sets to place a large implant then do a breast lift with an implant. The simultaneous lift and implant procedure is a little more challenging in that you're trying to do opposite things at the same time. One, you're trying to make the skin envelopes smaller and at the same time make the breast larger. One easy way to decide whether a lift is good for you, is to see your image in 3-D on a Vectra camera system. In our office, we can then compare two images: one with mastopexy with implants and the other with implants alone. In that way, both the patient and plastic surgeon can see what the difference in the look of both procedures are. Usually when implant is placed only, and a breast lift was really needed, what the patient will see is a breast that is falling off of a properly placed mound that's higher in the chest wall than the breast is. The breast seems to be falling off the implant. They will commonly squeeze the end part of their breast and ask,  “why hasn't the implant filled this space out?” For me, the in between operation is to use a tall shaped implant. These anatomically shaped implants can create the illusion, that although the nipple has not really been raised, that the nipple is now more centered on the breast. While these implants do cost more than round implants, it still less expensive than adding a breast lift. All things considered, it's best to consult with a few talented and busy cosmetic breast surgeons to get different opinions. Good luck with your decision.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Lift?

Unfortunately, with the picture provided, it's not really possible to make a specific recommendation.  You only provided one view, and raising your arms will cause the breasts to ride up (compared to when you have your arms down).  The best thing to do is to consult with a local/regional plastic surgeon who will evaluate you, and discuss your options based on your goals.  You can typically do an augmentation, see how your breasts look, and then decide to do a lift later if you want (but doing it this way, there will be two recoveries and often end up costing more than if you did it all at once).

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon