I got septorhinoplasty today. When I take the gauze off to change it I notice that I have a pig nose. Will it change? (Photo)

Will this change!!!!! I am so worried! Is there anything I can do in the healing to help this?!

Pig nose after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Your appearance is very typical immediately after surgery. The nasal tip swells more than other parts of the nose making it look larger. Also it tends to rotate upwards. With time it will assume a more normal position. Ice helps reduce the swelling. It's easy to say but be patient. There will be lots of changes over the next few weeks and months. Contact your surgeon for your concerns. Best wishes

Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

I got septorhinoplasty today. When I take the gauze off to change it I notice that I have a pig nose.

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Your appearance is very typical of someone so soon after surgery

You are still in the very early stages of the healing process will still have both bruising and swelling which may not be externally visible; it is important to note that the final results of a rhinoplasty can take a year to show. This result is very typical of one so soon afer surgery. Keep in touch with your operating surgeon and ensure that you follow the aftercare plan provided and any swelling that seems abnormal, do go have checked for peace of mind.

Over rotated nasal tip after septorhinoplasty

There is no way to comment specifically about your result not knowing any details. However, this concern is very common. The tip tape (courses around your tip and holds it up) is often the culprit. I field many questions like this from my own patients and invariably the tip falls immediately after removing the tip tape and fairly gradually during the healing process. Don't fret at this point, you likely have nothing to worry about. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty Concerns

Dear froggysc, While the splint is still on your nose and this soon after rhinoplasty surgery you can not determine any of your results. Don't worry and see your surgeon often so he/she can help hold your hand through this recovery phase. You are six days away from splint removal and just off of the operating room table so try and keep yourself calm, sleep elevated, reduce your salt intake and follow all of your surgeons post operative instructions. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal tip

The nasal tip is frequently rotated upwards right after rhinoplasty. With time, the tip should drop. Be sure that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  He or she will want to know if you are worried and can help ensure that all is healing properly. Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip

Try not to worry about your nasal appearance right now. You still have a lot of healing ahead of you. Your nose is quite swollen; additionally, the tape that wraps around the tip of your nose has the effect of rotating your nasal tip upwards, so your nostrils are currently more visible than they will be as the weeks and months go on. Good luck! 

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon