I am going in for breast augmentation on Mar 1. I am a NP in the ER. Is 2 weeks off enough time for recovery?

Returning to work post op?

Since every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol, this is best answered by your surgeon. I typically advise my patients to avoid strenuous exercise and heavy lifting (which I imagine you do quite a bit of in your job) for at least 6-8 weeks. Hope this helps -- Dr. Nazarian

I appreciate your question.

Each surgeon has his/her own post operative protocol.  So I would recommend that you check with your surgeon's office to be certain you are following his/her instructions. You surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing.  For my patients, no heavy lifting or strenuous activity is recommended for 8 weeks post operatively.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Time off after breast augmentation surgery

I think two weeks off from surgery is ample time for recovery. I tell my patients that are vigorous exercisers to avoid movements in the gym that strongly activate the pectoral muscles for six weeks (bench press, pull ups, shoulder press etc). Your work as an RN in ER should be okay, but only you would know how active your work days really are.

2 weeks off for a Breast Augmentation

HI Ms. Aguilar,

2 weeks may be enough time to take off following a breast augmentation, if you do not have to lift anything. If you are running around a lot in a hectic place , such as the ER, it might  not be long enough, If you could do triage or light duty , you might be fine. try no to lift anything 15 lbs. or more for 5-6 weeks post surgery as well.
 Hope this helps a bit.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Breast Augmentation: post op protocol and off work recommendations

Dear AAguilar3 RN,

Thank you for your questions.
Every Plastic Surgeon has his/her SPECFIC instructions and would defer to yours.

Pain is what limits most patients from returning to work.
In my practice, 95% + of implants are placed under the muscle.
I personally inject the muscle with long acting local anesthetic and offer a non narcotic pain pump that drips local anesthesia into the breast pocket for 3 days. There are several different brands (On-Q is a common one).

Postop
FIRST DAY
1)icing the breasts
2)start non narcotic (ibuprofen) and narcotic (percocette) for break through pain

SECOND DAY
1)start implant displacement exercises as pain allows
2)start "walking the wall with fingers"
3) displacement exercises:
5 x day
5 min
5 weeks
Until breast implant "seats"

THIRD DAY
-Remove non narcotic pain pump
-For those that do not have to use their upper body it is ok to return to work.
-Allowed to use upper body muscles as long as pain tolerated for next 6 weeks
-No high impact activities
-Wean off all narcotics
-Continue displacement exercises "5,5, 5" until implants "seat"

THIRD DAY to 6 weeks
-No high impact activities
-Continue upper body exercises as pain tolerated
-Back to work for those that require upper body use when no pain doing such
activities.

BEYOND 6 weeks
-no restrictions upper body (even if some pain)
-may start high impact exercises
-after implants seat then displacement exercises for 30 seconds 3 x day for life

I trust you have chosen a Plastic Surgeon who is a experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally he/she is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

NP in ER

At 2 weeks post op you should be feeling good.  I would advise
you to be cautious for another couple of weeks before you return
to a completely normal routine, avoiding heavy lifting, pushing ect.
Make sure you  check with your surgeon and follow your post op instructions.  Good Luck!

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work

Thank you for the question and every surgeon has his own post operative protocol so check with his office to be certain you are following his instructions.  That said you should be OK if no heavy lifting or straining is involved.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast augmentation recovery period

Thank you for your question. Two weeks off should be efficient. Try to avoid heavy lifting and pushing heavy weights until 6 weeks. It is best to check with your plastic surgeon since most plastic surgeon have their own thoughts on this matter. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Recovery Following Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question.

Two weeks should be adequate for recovery and going back to work.  I would ask your surgeon about lifting and activity restrictions when you are back at work, however.  They may not want you lifting or engaging in pushing/pulling motions.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Recovery and return to work following breast

Most of my patients return to light-duty work after one week following their breast augmentation. I restrict them from pushing, pulling or exercise using more than light weights for the first 2 weeks and restrict them to lifting, pushing or pulling no more than would be required to move a 2 to 5 pound object up until week 6 is completed. If your work is physical and your implants are under the muscle, I am concerned over the prospect of pulling on the pectoral muscle causing bleeding which may stimulate capsule contracture. If your implants are above the muscle I feel that the capsule is sufficiently healed by 4 to 6 weeks whereas under the muscle (most popular) six to eight weeks before resuming normal heavy upper body exercise and lifting.
Enjoy your results and good luck. Discuss this carefully with your plastic surgeon to be certain of his/her protocol.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Beverly Hills California

Jon A. Perlman, MD