how can i remove the fat from my chin? if i lose weight will it go?

i feel that my chin has fat on it.When i laugh\smile it like it falls and my chin looks very seperated from my other face.I have also a little fatty cheeks,and it seemes worst that way..

Double chin

Thank you for your question. Photos are most helpful if you have them. It sounds like you are describing what many people refer to as a "double chin." This can be treated very nicely with a few different techniques (injections such as Kybella, liposuction, and face lifting procedures). It would be worth seeing a plastic surgeon if it bothers you. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

A double chin can be difficult to correct with weight loss alone.  However, do try and achieve a normal BMI for overall health reasons.  Kybella can be used as a simple office procedure to correct for a double chin.

John Burns, MD

How can i remove the fat from my chin? if i lose weight will it go?

Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation including the amount of submittal (below the chin) fat and degree of chin projection.  If the chin is weak you may want to consider a chin implant.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  If the chin has the proper degree of projection but there is excess fat and or skin below the chin, liposuction can be done to reduce the fat and the skin removed through a small, curved incision under the chin.  This can also be done at the time of chin implant surgery should the chin be found to be weak.

Hope this helps.

Remove Fat From Chin

Thank you for inquiry.If you have fat excess under your chin, then liposuction can help.I would recommend a consultation with a plastic surgeon to determine when you would be a good candidate for this as this can depend on the quality of your skin to get the best results.It’s hard to know what would work best without a picture.Of course, it is possible for weight loss to help this area, but there is really no way to know for sure.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Treatment Options

Simply losing weight does not ensure that the fat under your chin will go away or diminish. We all store fat in different areas and diet/exercise is not always going to remove the fat from all areas of concern. However, there are treatment options for you! Kybella is a very quick and easy injectable treatment which uses an enzyme (deoxycholic acid) naturally found in your body to actually dissolve and remove fat cells under the chin area. Several sessions are usually required for the best results, but an experienced dermatologist will be able to tell you more in detail once the area has been evaluated. Other options for fat reduction under the chin include liposuction and CoolSculpting. Liposuction is a minimally invasive surgical procedure to permanently remove fat in the treated area. Results are immediate, though there will be some swelling for up to several weeks post procedure. CoolSculpting to the submental area is also now available with the CoolMini applicator. This procedure cools the fat cells in the area down to a temperature where fat cells (and only fat cells in the area) will freeze. Once these cells have been frozen, the cells undergo apoptosis (cell death) and your body starts to process and filter out the dead cells. With each treatment, you can see up to a 23% fat reduction in the area and it can take up to three months to see the full results of the CoolSculpting treatment.Schedule a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist to see which of these treatment options may be best for you!

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon