Why am I losing suddenly so much hair?

Hello. I am 20 years old and the past few weeks I noticed that I lose a large amount of hair daily. I counted and I can say I lose up to 350 hairs per day. Now I know that's a lot and I am starting to get really worried. I was wondering if since it's autumn that could be something seasonal so I should wait and see if the shedding continues or if I should talk to a doctor immediately. I've never had such a problem before. Thank you

Why am I losing suddenly so much hair?

Thank you for your question, visit a dermatologist  and do some blood test to see what would be causing your hair loss after which you could get a solution.

Why am I losing suddenly so much hair?

Thanks for your query. You should visit a dermatologist and undergo a proper investigation to reach a diagnosis and start treatment accordingly. Around 100 hair is normal but above that signifies some underlying problem. 

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

20 year old a losing hair

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon