Cryolipolysis and daily anti-inflammatory supplements such as fish oil/curcumin/CoQ10?

Since cryolipolysis ultimately depends on inflammation for dead adipocyte removal, will taking anti-inflammatory supplements such as fish oil, curcumin, CoQ10, vitamin C as a daily regiment hinder the elimination process and slow down or otherwise reduce the efficacy of the treatment? I have seen at least one such warning online, however it is referring to medications, not supplements.

Coolsculpting and anti-inflammatory medications.

I answered your other question already, but this is a bit different question that I will try to answer in a way that makes sense, Like my other answer, you are asking a technical question that shows much insight and thought about how this process works, so I won't bore you with "standard" marketing answers such as "see a qualified doctor for a personal examination," or "see a Dermatologist (or Plastic surgeon)" depending on the respondent's specialty. Let's try to give you a science-based answer.

Cryolipolysis depends on having adequate fat and skin laxity to draw the treated tissue into the Coolsculpting probes, though they are constantly developing smaller and contact probes that can help treat areas otherwise previously inaccessible (or less so). If you have lots of deflated cells, you don't have a very thick layer of fat to act as a "buffer" to prevent freezing of deeper tissues like muscle, nerves, or more superficial ones like capillaries. Skin is more durable than fat, which is why it breaks down last in pressure sores, etc. Deeper fatty tissues are much more susceptible to freezing, compression causing circulatory compromise, etc. which is how Coolsculpting works to kill the fat and preserve the only-partially-damaged skin. But when someone slim like you ha little or no fat, what absorbs the freezing? "Stuff" you really DON'T want to freeze!

Inflammation is not the only process by which the dead cells are removed, nor is inflammation stopped dead cold (pun) by anti-inflammatory medications, even several of them taken together. So the dead cells are still going to be removed, just perhaps in a slower, more "orderly" fashion, which may actually result in LESS scar tissue, retraction, or undesirable contours. But that's only where there are enough fat cells to be properly treated, not a minuscule layer of deflated cells that you are trying to destroy in order to prevent ever getting fat again, even if you unbalance your caloric intake/burn ratio.

Supplements are only less effective versions of prescription pharmaceuticals, or homeopathic agents with even more questionable effectiveness, so many would simply tell you not to worry about these "mini-effects."

More critical is that you seem to have decided on Coolsculpting therapy, though by description you have no significant fat layer (only those accursed deflated adipocytes) to try to kill while leaving undamaged other tissues. This may be a foolhardy supposition.

You certainly don't want to have to gain weight to kill fat cells, but it strikes me that the problem is not the cells, but the intake that causes you to "regain weight very, very easily." I do not recommend either Coolsculpting in this specific setting, nor gaining weight so you can try to kill some, not all, of the fat cells so that you have a slim, even, smooth result. Won't happen, and you could end up with a disaster here, supplements or not.

I certainly hope this helps answer your question. Best wishes and keep up your hard work at maintaining your weight loss! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Anti-inflammatories and Coolsculpting

Whether or not you are taking anti-inflammatory supplements, Coolsculpting will still be effective.  The damaged and dead fat cells will be cleared out by your macrophage cells because that is what they do... clean up damaged cells.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Cryolipolysis and anti-inflammatory supplements

Dear raphael74, 

This is a very intuitive question! 

There are 2 mechanisms which seem to work with the use of CoolSculpting styled cryolipolysis.
  1. apoptosis: activation of the gene to self destruct and resorb (no inflammation occurs); yet the natural inflammatory cells in the area are signaled by the dying cell to remove its debris.
  2. swelling, induration, redness, heat: the classic signals found at the beginning of a inflammatory process which produces collagen or scar formation.

In the last 30 years, the understanding of pro- and anti- inflammatory, cells, signals and molecules and their complex interactions is just being uncovered. The supplements you have mentioned such as fish oil, curcumin, CoQ10, vitamin C and so many medications, dietary /nutritional, environmental, health, genetic and other factors also add to this complexity. 

Consider that every substance that your body absorbs or creates as a by-product has some positive or negative effect(s) and you will recognize it is not just one category or factor that modifies the body's inflammatory response. While it is intuitive to reduce anti-inflammatories to improve the effects of cryolipolysis, there are no studies proving these effects.

No single factor has a single effect but more of a "ying" which produces a "yang" in its wake. It is the overall balance which yields the result.

I best recommend a low calorie, nutritionally dense diet to include all minerals and vitamins in non-processed foods and liquids. Then re-add your supplements as you need or desire them. 

Please discuss with your Board Certified, Cryolipolysis Specialist physician. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Supplements and Coolsculpting

The medications and supplements that you described will have no effect on Coolsculpting.  It is best to consult a board certified physician with expertise with Coolsculpting for the best results.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
These should not hinder the process. The freezing is what hurts the fat cells. The inflammatory proscess breaks them down but there a lot of processes in the body that work via inflammation.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz