Why are approximately 15%-20% of the transplanted hair grafts still growing and they have not shed? (Photo)

I am in my 10th week after a 2,500 graft FUE. The transplanted hair were placed in the front sides, and in the center of the hairline, and on the top and crown areas. I cannot tell of grafts in the top and crown area are still growing, because I cannot see them. But I notice that around 15% of the hairs in the front sides and center are for sure still growing. They did not shed. Is it a good or a bad thing????

Shedding after hair transplant

The natural and expected process of shedding after a hair transplant procedure typically starts to occur 1 month following the surgery. However, not every graft will experience these phenomena.  Some newly transplanted hair does not shed and instead continues to grow. This is not indicative of better or poor results.

Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Early Growth

It is common that the transplanted grafts shed within two weeks after the procedure. You are one of the lucky few and you should be happy. Good luck on your journey.

I would think that if your transplanted hairs never fall out and continue to grow immediately, that would be a good thing.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding

Sometimes some of the shedding does not happen in some of the grafts and they may actually start their growth cycle early

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon