Lip lift or lip implants? (photos)

I got a full syringe of Juvéderm injected into my lips 2 weeks ago. My lips now look no different than they looked before the syringe. I want something permanent.Would a lip lift or implant be a better option for me? For achieve the look I want?

Lip Augmentation

I would urge you to return for more fillers and see if you like the results.  I have seen many patients who are unhappy with their surgical results and are unable to correct them.  New Juvederm Volbella will be released soon and should be a great alternative for you.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Lift

You have proven with am injectable filler treatment that more volume is not the answer. Thus a lip implant is not the solution. You are demonstrating exactly what a subnasal lip lift does.

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. Fat injections can piggyback off of the Juvederm injections to provide a permanent solution. Surgical procedures, including direct lip lift, subnasal lip lift and corner lift, are more invasive permanent solutions as well. I suggest that you allow the Juvederm injectibles to run their course and then base your decision off of the results and a consultation with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift or lip implants?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  A lip lift will help increase the red show of your upper lip by reducing the distance between your nose and lip border. Depending on the angle that the base of your nose makes with your upper lip this procedure will leave you with a scar along this junction which may be noticeable.  A lip implant will add volume to your lips mimicking the results of a dermal filler.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss the best treatment option.  Best wishes.

Over 30 years of treating lips I have noticed this is an area of very high distorted self image.

Many years ago, I had a mother daughter that had an illegal filler placed in their lips at a local hair salon. Both had obvious overfilled duck lips. What fascinated me was that the mother would come in for more filler and complain that her daughter had over filled her lips and looked like a duck.  The daughter would come in for more filler and confide that her mother had overfilled her lips and looked like a duck.  Each recognized the deformity in the other, but did not recognize the deformity in themselves.

This is very common with lips. Patients frequently request more and more filler, not realizing that they look more and more unnatural.   I frequently have to warn, enough is enough.

The picture you placed with the Q-tip is not a natural looking lip.   A permanent procedure may not be reversible if you over do it or later decide it was a mistake.  

Find a surgeon who cares more about your best interest, than profiting from an unrealistic request.

I see so many beautiful actresses who have distorted their lips.  Fortunately, fillers reabsorb. Implants and surgical procedures may result in irreversible damage. Beware.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

Lip Augmentation

Lip lifts are designed to decrease the distance between the base of your nose and the upper lip whereas lip implants are designed to give more fullness to the lips.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist in the face who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  Either procedure can usually be done under local anesthesia in the office.

Kimberly Lee, MD