Should I wear the compression garment night and day, and for how long? (Photo)

Should I wear the compression garment night and day, and for how long?

GreetingsThank you for your question, a compression garment should be worn both day and night at all times after your procedure. It can be worn from 3 weeks to 6 weeks.

Definitely a Few Days, Perhaps Longer

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. Patients under my care wear compression garments after liposuction of the abdomen, hips, buttocks or thighs. It keeps swelling down and leads to smooth and even results. A compression garment should be worn at all times (or as much as possible) in the first few days following the procedure. Beyond that, your surgeon should offer specific instructions on how long to continue wearing it. Many of my patients actually choose to wear them for longer because they help with swelling and support.

i don't see the picture so not sure on what are you had treated but i recommend my clients wear their compression garment 4-6 weeks following surgery. As they get over a month I often tell them they can remove it during the day for short periods but try to wear it as much as possible. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - how long to wear the compression garment

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Every surgeon has a different approach - so ask your surgeon for recommendations.
  • I tell my patients to wear the garment for at least 2 weeks -
  • And to continue wearing that garment or another kind after that if they are still swollen.
  • I have some patients who just don't swell but most people swell a lot -
  • An occasional patient will wear a garment for 3 months.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post op garment

Typically the recommendation is to wear post op garments for 6-8 weeks. Wearing the garment can help with both swelling and shaping. Each surgeon has their own post op instructions, so it's always best to check with your surgeon.  

John Allan Ness, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Most plastic surgeons recommend wearing a compression garment 24/7 for the first 6-8 weeks. However, every surgeon's postop protocol may be slightly different so best to check in with your operating surgeon directly. Good luck!

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgery has their own respective post op protocol for their patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute