How do I find the right surgeon to fix my tuberous breasts?

Hi there! I'm 33 and have been so unhappy with them all my life, I knew they weren't the same as other girls but I couldn't see why? Until now! They aren't obviously like it, but I am aware and have always struggled with partners seeing my breasts. I'd love to feel confident in that department. To me the shape is more important than anything. I would just like more weight underneath my breast. How do I find the surgeon for me? I'm in the UK. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Finding surgeon to correct tuberous breasts in the UK

Thank you for your question about breast augmentation and tuberous breast correction.

• Don't despair - the UK has many superb plastic surgeons.
  • Go to the website of the Royal College of Plastic Surgeons.
  • Find qualified surgeons near you - start calling to ask if the surgeon has an interest in cosmetic surgery in general and breast surgery in particular.
  • Have consultations until you find a surgeon who is both kind and competent, can explain the problem and suggest the best approach to correct it.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Tuberous breasts, possibly?

Hello Zama13. Hard to tell if you have tuberous breasts. Photos would help. Features of the tuberous breast include:

1) Puffy or herniated areola.
2) Widely spaced breasts.
3) High breast fold.
4) Constricted lower pole or deficient tissue in lower part of the breast.
5) Minimal breast tissue.
6) Narrow base or small "footprint" of the breast.

Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tuberous breast deformity

The internet is actually an excellent place to start.  Search for certified plastic surgeons in your area with experience in treating tuberous breasts.  Ask to see photos of other patients during your consultation to determine that your aesthetic sense matches that of your surgeon.  Good luck.

Finding the right plastic surgeon in the United Kingdom.

My opinion being an American would be rather imprecise but if you have a family physician a recommendation can be made as to the plastic surgeons who have good reputations.

Tuberous breast surgeon

Thanks for your question.  The internet is a good starting resource to research surgeons that might be in your vicinity who have experience doing tuberous breast surgery.  Once you have located surgeons in your area you could check with their licensing body about years in practice and credentials.  Finally, arrange several consultations to learn about your options

How Do I Find The Right Surgeon To Fix My Tuberous Breasts?

Fortunately for you, England has many well trained Board Certified plastic surgeons which should be your minimal criteria for any surgeon you choose to operate on your tuberous breasts. 

Next, you need to find a surgeon with significant experience in correcting tuberous breasts as this is a unique problem requiring unique treatments. 

The tuberous breast usually has a constricted base, a tight inframammary fold, and pouty nipple (having the breast tissue herniate into the nipple giving it a rounded and protruded appearance).  Very often, tuberous breasts tend to turn downward adding a ptotic component to the already unattractive breasts. 

I have corrected tuberous breasts with implants placed in a dual plane pocket and a transaxillary incision.  However, it is rarely possible to do that type of surgery and get an excellent result.  Periareolar incisions with multiple cuts into the breast tissue to allow the tissue to splay out can give one some improvement in the tuberous breast, but most of the time tuberous breasts require a circumareolar or Benelli mastopexy to give them a sufficient inframammary fold to nipple distance. 

While looking for the right plastic surgeon to do your surgery, ask to see before and after pictures and ask to speak to two or more patients who had correction of tuberous breasts by the surgeon you are consulting with.  Picking the right surgeon is always important, but when dealing with tuberous breasts, it is even more important due to the very technical nature of this type of surgery.

A good place to start is the British Association for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (BAAPS) website where you can look for surgeons near you. Meet with a few royal college certified plastic surgeons and discuss your options with them until you find one that makes you feel confident you will get the results you want. Hope that helps! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Thanks for the question.  I would suggest starting with your national Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the Board of Plastic Surgery.
  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast surgery for patients with constricted/tuberous breasts), helps. Best wishes.