What do I need to be smaller? (Photos)

Breast lift or reduction do you think I will still look really big with just a lift

Breast reduction

Many thanks for your question. You would benefit greatly from a breast reduction. This is one of the most successful operations in plastic surgery with a very high satisfaction rate. It can make an enormous difference to women's lives. A breast reduction not only reduces the weight and volume of the breasts but also lifts at the same time so is best thought of as a reduction and lift. I would advise seeking the opinion of a fully qualified plastic surgeon who is experienced in cosmetic breast surgery. 

Jonathan Adamthwaite FRCS (Plast)

Liverpool Plastic Surgeon

What do I need to be smaller?

Hello and thank you for your question!

Based on the picture you have sent us, you may have Gigantomastia, which are mammary glands that are bigger than normal, which in most cases requires surgical treatment. Perhaps you could post more frontal pictures, so we're able to give you an idea in terms of technique. A breast reduction would definitely be the best option for you and may even be accompanied by a breast lift, should they hang too low.

Please visit a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Find the right surgeon

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:

• Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast lift or reduction?

A breast reduction is needed if you want to be smaller. A lift will generally not reduce the cup size.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift or reduction?

Hi and thanks for your question. I think in someone like you who has rather large breasts, breast reduction is a better choice as it will lift the breast/nipple to a more youthful position and at the same time ease off the heaviness that you might be experiencing. You will have an excellent outcome from breast reduction. Good luck. 

What do I need to be smaller?

Thank you for the question. Based on your pictures, you seem to be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” or "still look really big" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.