Lip filler does not last. (photos)

Wondering if anyone can give me advice/options on this. I've had lip filler around 6 times now, each time having at least 1ml (sometimes even 2ml in one go) because it just does not last! I've been to 3 different nurses who have used different products (juvaderm, restyline and revanesse kiss) Nothing seems to last! The result straight after the swelling goes down is great then it will never last longer than 2-3 weeks. I last had mine done 3 weeks ago and now you can't even tell, any suggestions?

Lip filler does not last long

Hello. Technique make a big difference. You also need a product that will give you a lot more volume than what you have used. If this does not work I suggest fat fillers. Go to a board certified doctor with more experience and you will notice the difference.

Lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question photos.You may need more product, a more volumizing product, and/or more frequent injections. I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip filler not lasting

so you want to know can anything be done to make fillers in your lips last longer?  Thankfully, the answer is yes!  A new technique, referred to as ‘stacking’, involves having filler treatment performed six months after the original treatment, whether you need it or not.  A study by the makers of Restylane showed that by stacking treatments (scheduling treatments every 6 months), the Restylane actually lasted longer than if treatments were performed after the effects of the filler had gone away.

The idea of stacking hyaluronic acid filler treatments is new and exciting, because it means that treatment with both Restylane and Juvederm in the lips will now last longer, with the same number of syringes being used for the treatments.  Patients who wish to stack their hyaluronic acid filler treatments should return to the office every 6 months for their next treatment.  The technique of stacking can also be used for other areas of the face, such as the nasolabial folds and the midface.

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

I would suggest trying voluma or considering implant or fat injections. Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat transfer for Lip Augmentation

Your problem is fairly common because the activity from talking and eating and moving your lips can cause some people to require fillers more frequently.Your best option is fat transfer, which can be dome under local anesthesia in the office and takes less that 1 hour. Studies show that at least 50-75% of the fat remains permanently. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with lots of experience with fat grafting. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Lips that don't last

There are several reasons for this to occur.  The continual movement in your lips can increase the reduction of the volume in treatment.  Sometimes we try a small amount of Botox above the lips to prevent this movement.  Also you may have a fast metabolism?  This can cause the fillers to be neutralized more quickly.   You indicate that you have had six treatments.  It often takes several treatments for the result to hold. I'm not sure how far apart these treatments were or if you changed products?  I would see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, not a nurse injector, for this issue.  Thank you for your question.  Dr. Adrienne Stewart MD F AAD

Adrienne E. Stewart, MD
Denver Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip fille options?

Your filler should last somewhat longer> Having said that this is why for 35 years I have used fat augmentation for the lips, I have never had a complication with this technique and it is permanent. See a very experienced surgeon who can show you photos of his results on his website that are 1 year results not just a month or two.

Lip filler not lasting

Over time, as you create collagen in response to the injection, you should last longer. Vobella is supposed to last longer and you might want to try that.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip filler

It sounds like you want them larger, I would suggest adding another string at this point.   Best of luck.

Lip filler results

The ideal product to use in the lips is the hyaluronic acid fillers which you had.  There are differences in duration from person to person and lip filler augmentation can last anywhere from 3 months to a area.  We see quite a variation in duration in this area.  It may be secondary to the fact that this area is constantly moving. There are newer hyaluronic acid fillers which can last longer such as Voluma although this should be injected by an experienced provider.  Second, it may also depend on the technique or placement. hope this helps

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician