Can I have implants with pectus? (photos)

I have been to 2 consultations upto now. I am not happy at all. First one told me all I could have is tear drop 265 & 310 different profiles. My second consultation I was told no all together due to the dip in my chest. I need some help on what to do next.

Can I have implants with pectus?

Yes,  you can have an augmentation if you have pectus excavatum or a dip in your chest.  However, implants will not fix this dip, but can camouflage it.  With the asymmetry you demonstrate, you may get a better result with different sizes and even different shapes of implants and different profiles.  Get more opinions and consultations from board certified plastic surgeons on how to proceed with surgery.  Best wishes. 

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

You can have implants, however, your breasts will not be exactly alike. Find a surgeon who will let you try on a variety of sizes to see what fits your chest the best. Sometimes, implants help to minimize the pectus.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Can I have implants with pectus?

Thank you for the question. The use of different sizes/profiles of breast implants are often very helpful when it comes to improving breast symmetry for patients who present with pectus excavatum and/or chest wall asymmetry. In my experience, breast implants tend to help “camouflage” the concavity, making the cleavage area look deeper. Often times postoperatively is hard to know that the patient initially presented with pectus excavatum. 

Often, patients with pectus excavatum have medially sloped chest walls ( sloped towards the cleavage area); care must be taken during the breast implant pocket dissection to avoid the implants coming together too close in the sternal area.

Also, patients with pectus excavatum may have their nipple/areola complexes relatively medially positioned on their breasts; without intervention this inward leaning appearance of the nipple/areola does not improve with breast augmentation surgery.

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons; asked to see lots of examples of his/her work. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast surgery for patients with pectus excavatum, helpful to you as you learn more.