Which implant type is best for women with pectus excavatum?

I have been adviced to have tear drop shape.. 310cc xhp in the breast which is the side my chest dips in slightly & 265cc hp in my normal side. I am wanting the fake round look not natural! I also stated I didn't want the tear drop shape before she said that was all I could have! I do want round textured ones & something like 350cc. I am also 5'7, 90ibs. What implants & size would be best for me? She measured my bwd as 11cm.

Thank you for the question. The use of different sizes/profile breast implants are often very helpful when it comes to improving breast symmetry for patients who present with pectus excavatum and/or chest wall asymmetry. In my experience, breast implants tend to help “camouflage” the concavity, making the cleavage area look deeper. Often times postoperatively is hard to know that the patient initially presented with pectus excavatum.
Often, patients with pectus excavatum have medially sloped chest walls ( sloped towards the cleavage area); care must be taken during the breast implant pocket dissection to avoid the implants coming together too close in the sternal area.
Also, patients with pectus excavatum may have their nipple/areola complexes relatively medially positioned on their breasts; without intervention this inward leaning appearance of the nipple/areola does not improve with breast augmentation surgery.

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons; asked to see lots of examples of his/her work. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast surgery for patients with pectus excavatum, helpful to you as you learn more.

You should be a good candidate for round breast implants.

This is an extremely complex and highly variable field within breast augmentation. Options not only include implants but some cases are severe enough for sternum surgeries or a CT guided sternal moulage. Women with pectus excavatum can achieve beautiful breast augmentation results with both teardrop and round breast implants, especially with submuscular placement. If your natural breast shape can accommodate them, you should be fine with 350cc textured round breast implants. Really the only concern specific to pectus excavatum is leaving enough intact tissue at the midline to prevent the breast implants from sitting too close together. Keep in mind, though, that your plastic surgeon may have recommended smaller implants to better protect the midline. Since you have questions about her suggestion, you may want to schedule a consultation with a second plastic surgeon or talk with your surgeon again before planning your breast augmentation.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Difficult case - you may need other opinions

Hello Lea,It sounds like you have a complex situation and it is always difficult dealing with asymmetries and even more difficult when there is a chest wall deformity.  I don't think that anyone could give you specific advice on this website, but what I would say is that if you are uncomfortable with the advice you have been given, I would encourage you to seek other opinions.I have a webinar that talks about what is involved in choosing the size and profile of implants, so please feel free to sign up for it, the link is below.Good luck and I would recommend that you seek a fully qualified plastic surgeon who specialises in breast surgery - I have written a book about this, but I don't want to overload you with information!  Look for the letters FRCS(Plast) after his or her name and look for someone who is (or has been) a Consultant Plastic Surgeon in the NHS specialising in breast surgery.