I want my Tummy tuck now or should I wait until further weight loss? I'm 33, 4 cesarean sections. (photos)

and had enough of my belly! I'm 1 year on from my final pg - I've lost 2 stone since but now the weight seems to not be shifting and I blame this!! My BMI is 30.5 (I'm 5ft 6. 189 llbs). Happy with the rest of my body but this bulging midriff which makes me look 9 months pregnant depresses me! I'm prepared to have it done asap! - will I get good results from having the procedure? - can all the hanging fat be removed? - how much weight do you think I would lose having this removed?

TT and weight loss

Continue your weight loss efforts to minimize your surgical risks. You'll need a full TT with lipo. Keep up the great work. 

Dr. Burnett

Tummy tuck post pregnancy

Hi there. Great job on the post pregnancy weight loss. If you plan to lose further weight, than it is definitely worth deferring surgery until after you have reached your desired weight to get the best result. If not, you are in a good position now for a tummy tuck with possible liposuction to deliver a much improved contour. Good luck!

Tummy Tuck now or wait until further weight loss?

Judging from the photographs, you would do well from a combination of abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and liposuction. While this will improve your appearance, losing as much weight before your procedure and getting your BMI below the 30 range will help reduce your risk of post operative complications and improve your outcome. It is also important to remember that no matter what a great result you get, this procedure will not obviate the need for continued good eating habits with a component of exercise.

I would recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in-person examination and a discussion of your goals. I hope this helps.
Thank you for the question and the pictures, best of luck.

Expectations from the tummy tuck operation

Thank you for your question and photos.
Congrats on your 2 stone weight loss!!!

You will get the best results if you can bring your BMI to less than 30. This will also reduce the risk of potential complications such as wound healing breakdown.

You will get an excellent result from a tummy tuck operation. You seem to be an excellent candidate.

As for the weight of the tissue resection. It is never as much as you would expect. In your case, looks to be about 5-10 pounds at the most.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Thank you very much for your question and photographs; and congratulations on your recent weight loss. From your pictures, it appears that you may make an excellent candidate for a combined tummy tuck and liposuction procedure. These procedures will be key in your journey to restore your pre-pregnancy shape. I would recommend that you see a Board Certified plastic surgeon, experienced in performing tummy tucks on patients such as yourself. He/she can show you Before/After photographs of their recent patients, which will help you to determine the amount of correction that is possible.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Tummy tuck surgery now or more weight loss?

Based on your photographs alone you appear to be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck combined with liposuction.  With any procedure, you will achieve the best aesthetic results if you are as close to your goal weight as possible.  

Hi :

Even though you are a good candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck with Lipo, if your pre labs are ok; is always advisable that if your are wishing  to lose more weight you should wait a little more.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

I want my Tummy tuck now or should I wait until further weight loss? I'm 33, 4 cesarean sections.

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your significant weight loss thus far; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Based on your photographs, I think that you are close to being ready to proceed.

Generally speaking, always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.
Also generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and (again) has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.