Will Alar base reduction improve my rhinoplasty results? (photos)

I had a complex rhinoplasty 2 months ago and my surgeon suggested that I might wish a nostril reduction post op. My nostrils are still long and tend to show more than i would like , particularly on my right side and moreso when i smile i am due to see my surgeon in 2 weeks and would welcome some feedback as to whether the doctors feel this procedure will improve the cosmetic appearance of my nose?

Will Alar base reduction improve my rhinoplasty results?

Hello szlid - Thanks for your question.  I would recommend that you wait until you are one year post-op before you decide on alar base surgery.  You have very wide medial crural footplates that jut out into your nostrils.  If you move the lateral nostril edge more to the center on both sides, you risk narrowing your airway.  Also, your nose seems too long still and may need to be deprojected which would change the shape of your nostrils and may necessitate other procedures. Other than this, you could try some Botox on your nasal depressor muscle to reduce the tip drop with smiling.  It would help stabilize nostril shape. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction

Given your photos, I would not recommend having a reduction in the size of your nostrils. Performing a weir incision and shortening the nostril will make your nose straighter and less natural in addition to having a potentially visible incision along the side of your nose. A sill incision will narrow the width of the nostril which is not your main issue. If you would like to make your nostrils more symmetric I would narrow the columella at the footplates of the medial crura (where the middle part of your nose meets the upper lip). This is where I see more of the asymmetry in your nostrils. Hope this helps but the most important thing is that you take care of what bothers you not someone else.

Aric K. Park, MD

Alar base reduction

Hi there and thanks for the question. Alar base reduction is used for flaring when the alar base is wide or flares when the tip is dropped back. It can also reduce nostril size if that flaring is also accompanied by a large nostril.
From what I can see neither is the case with your nose, so I would say no alar base resection for you.  Although not easy to be totally sure from the photos, I feel your nose tip may need a little more projection and rotation to enhance your result. 

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon

Alar base resection

Simple answer is unlikely but possibly. You have too much projection. Your Nose looks too long. You need reduction in height and length of nose. This is difficult to do and you need an experienced rhinoplasty specialist to do this.  Your Nostrils look fine. It really depends what you think needs improving. You need to give it time to settle and talk things over with the surgeon. 

Rajan Uppal, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon