I've been advised not to have a BA and TT at the same time. Is it too risky?

Hello, I went for an apt with THG in Manchester and was surprised to hear I shouldn't have a BA and TT procedure at the SAME time. I'm 5, 6" 189, aiming to get to around 150 lbs within 6 months b/f having surgery. Most weight is around my middle which will improve with weight loss. The subject of my boobs didn't REALLY get discussed which dissapointed me. I liked him but I'm not so sure :( Is it REALLY a bad thing having the 2 done at the same time?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants, with the limited information provided here, will not be able to provide you with specific advice. In other words, the plastic surgeon who saw you may have information available to him, prompting his recommendations.

Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures (tummy tuck and breast augmentation) are done routinely.  It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important considerations. Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including good judgment/advice/planning, anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to mommy makeover surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Combining Multiple Procedures in a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  While there are risks associated with any procedure, the tummy tuck and breast augmentation are commonly performed together as a mommy makeover.  Your surgeon has a reason for not performing the two procedures at once on you, whether it be that he does not feel comfortable or that he has noticed something about you during the evaluation that is hindering him from doing so.  If you are set on having the procedures done at the same time, you might want to consider seeking a second opinion.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Combining breast surgery and tummy tuck

These are two procedures that are commonly performed at the same time with one anesthetic and one recovery. I would discuss this with your surgeon to see what his/her reluctance is attributable to.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

No is not too risky, is  no true, if you are in  optimal good health condition and your hemoglobin level is  over 12 grams, both procedures can be done at once without increasing your risks or complications.

This is commonly done in my practice and many surgeons practices.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Safety of combined operations

Thank you for your question.  Without an in-person exam, it is difficult to advise you on this question.  Perhaps your surgeon was concerned about an underlying medical issue that would make additional anesthetic time a risk.  However, generally speaking, it is safe to combine multiple procedures in a healthy patient.  I routinely perform combination procedures such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, and breast augmentation with/without a lift all at the same time.  Depending on the length of surgery, an overnight stay for observation may be required from a safety standpoint to monitor your vital signs, urine output, etc.  Perhaps your surgeon felt they could not perform both surgeries in the time needed to qualify for an outpatient procedure.  Generally, I limit outpatient surgeries to under 5-5.5 hours.  You could consider a second opinion if you really desire to get both procedures done simultaneously.  Good luck,

Dr Derby

It is very common to do a TT and BA within the same surgery. Maybe it is wise to ask why this surgeon thinks that it is not appropriate for you. Combination surgeries (MM) are very popular and done very frequently by all plastic surgeons.my advice is talk it over with this surgeon and if not convinced get a second opinion with another doctor.Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Safety of Mommy Makeover

Breast augmentation done in combination with a tummy tuck is part of a procedure known as a Mommy makeovers. Mommy makeovers combine a variety of proceudres to improve the breasts, abdomen, hips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, etc after childbirth.

Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY. Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Breast and tummy at the same time

You will find differences in surgeon preferences for surgical plans.  In my practice I commonly perform tummy tucks and breast augmentations at the same surgery.  It depends sometimes on your conditions, how much time the procedure might take, pre-existing medical conditions, and the anticipated needs for recovery.  My advice is this; if you're not sure about your existing plan then a second opinion could be helpful to you.  Discuss with your surgeon your desire to have both done and consider getting another perspective as well.  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Combination procedures routine

Hi there. Whilst I cannot comment on your specific circumstances, it is very common to combine different procedures in one operation (eg breast and abdomen or breast and rhinoplasty). I would recommend arranging a consultation with a UK-accredited plastic surgeon (BAPRAS and/or BAAPS member) for a detailed discussion about risks, benefits and anticipated outcome. Good luck!