30 year old wanting beast augmentation! What size cc & type of implant do you recommend for me to achieve desired look? (Photos)

I'm 5''6, size uk 10 and a 34a - I have had two children whom I breast fed short term (3 months) and during that time I went from a to c cup. I'm looking to have a breast enlargement to create a similar look as my 'goal' pic! My right breast is basically non existent so would like to achieve symmetry! Could you advise how I could achieve this? How many cc? Implant type/shape? I am also interested in the b-lite implants so any advice on those would also be welcome! Many thanks in advance!

Look for a BAPRAS and/or BAAPS surgeon

Hello Happy,

You can't beat an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon.  The equivalent of ASAPS in the UK is BAPRAS and BAAPS and they both have websites with a list of plastic surgeons in your area.

Look for a surgeon who you have confidence in and can show you before and after photographs and can go through the options of implant selection.  You can register for a webinar through my website which goes through some of the issues with choosing the right breast implant and I have also done a short video above.

Good luck, you should get a nice result.

Breast Implants

Hi Happy, good questions.  The B-lite is not available in the US, but it sounds like it is in GB.  It is 30% lighter because of the microspheres, so less sag over time, and mammograms are more accurate.  So, go for it.

My web site has over 5,000 photos, and from the photos you actually cannot tell the style or shape of the implant used.  So not as important as some make it out to be.

Regarding size: Here are a few tips for you because this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon.  Also see the video attached to my answer.  We spend up to two hours for our BA consults to be sure there is careful communication. We do a full exam in front of a full-length mirror taking six exact measurements.    We put your photos on a large computer screen for imaging, and go over your “ideal-size” photos. We then save this information to your password protected “web account.”

First and foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover.  Balancing the implant to your over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.    The main thing is to have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot-print".  Higher profile implants tend to have a smaller diameter.  Higher is really a marketing term, but often translates into the same volume implant with a narrower base.  Saline implants actually tend to decrease in diameter as they are inflated!  The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was “350cc”.  BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were bigger a year after BA.  (We will see you every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc.  You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.  The implant is also flattened somewhat when under the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket.  Once you decide on a size you like, then add on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.  Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy.  Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer.  Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.  Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.  Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.  Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.  Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width.  Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total).  Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.

Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.  Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape.  A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them.  These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery.  In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover.  Finally, your verbal requests are factored into the analysis.

We use the quick-recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained and you can see the list of Quick-Recovery (Flash-Recovery or Rapid-Recovery) Breast Augmentation articles from peer-reviewed surgery journals.  It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain and recovery time. In published studies of BA patients, 95-percent of women interviewed after the procedure returned to normal daily activities within 24-hours. Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.”  These specialized techniques, which actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work, are published in our plastic surgery journals.  Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype. 

Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons).  Also, ask if the PS has an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year.  Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, about 20-years might be a good gauge.  Does the PS offer all three incisions?  Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick-recovery approach."  Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website.  If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view.  I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you.  You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center.  Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.      

All the best, “Dr. Joe”

What size implants?

Thanks for your question and for the good quality photos you have provided. From the look of your "goal pic" it appears that the lady has had round implants inserted, but it is not possible to comment on whether they are above or below the muscles from this picture alone. From your photos you are quite thin, which would suggest to me that the implants are best positioned partly under the muscles (dual plane) to give a similar smooth contour to the upper poles of your breasts, such as in your goal pic. Your nipples are more lateral on your chest wall than the lady in your goal pic. I would therefore suggest larger implants than what she probably had inserted to ensure that you have both a good cleavage and "side boob", whilst ensuring the nipple is positioned over the centre of the implants. I would recommend 330cc as a starting point, but you should arrange an appointment to have an assessment and try on some implant sizers. Good luck!

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hi there. Thank you for your post. You are in a great starting place - an aesthetically pleasing basic structure to the breasts with a youthful shape yet probably some loose skin following breast feeding to allow fullness in the inferior pole of the breast to get you towards your goal photos. The exact plan is always best determined after an in person consultation - in particular it is hard to accurately predict the optimal implant size but accepting that, my feeling is patients in your situation would benefit from round high projecting implants placed partly behind the muscle (dual plane) e.g. 270-360cc range. Good luck!

Breast augmentation , breast implants

Looks like you are a good candidate for natural proportional breast augmentation. See a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon. Make sure you can try on breast implants in a tight bra to get an idea of the volume change. Also extra 3 dimensional imaging can help determine the volume difference and simulate scenarios by computer imaging. Getting cleavage with a 13 cm diameter implant one 450 high profile for your right size and 350 moderate plus profile for your left side may do it. I would need to see what it looks like in a bra. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Wanting wish pic result

Hello, it looks like the person in your wish picture had implants that were at the maximum size for what could be inserted since they almost touch in the middle.  You would need to have a proper consult with a PS to determine if this look could be achieved in your case, and also to understand any risks associated with choosing implants that are larger for your body type.

30 year old wanting beast augmentation! What size cc & type of implant do you recommend for me to achieve desired look?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  The breast asymmetry could be addressed with different size/profile breast implants. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.