How long will my healing take? Major complications after tummy tuck. (photos)

I have a huge hole in my stomach. My PS has never seen this happen before. He thinks I had a blood clot form behind my skin. My skin died and now I have a 2-3 inch whole in my stomach. See pictures 2 days after surgery to 3 weeks after surgery. How long will it take me to heal?

How long will my healing take? Major complications after tummy tuck.

Thank you for your question. Yes I agree this is a major complication which happen rarely. I am sorry you have to go through it Your PS will guide you and take care of you, but it will take few months to heal. Be patient and follow instructions from your PS.

How long does it take to heal?

What you're experiencing is one of rare but dangerous complication. Your plastic surgeon will have ways of how she wants things to be dressed. It may be something called wet to dry dressing changes, a wound vacuum or even a  second delay closure. 

Thank you for your question.a,p

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Sorry for the very severe necrosis from a vascular compromise! Healing of that large defect will take unto 6 months. Again sorry.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your tummy tuck wound healing difficulties.  Though determination of the exact cause of the issue is impossible, the most important next step is treating you locally to gain control of the wound and allow the tissue that will not live to demarcate itself.  Hopefully your plastic surgeon has given you instructions as to how to care for the wound - dressing changes, ointments, etc. until they can remove the dead tissue directly.  Once only healthy tissue remains either a woundvac or conservative dressings will allow your body to heal from the inside out but either process will take months to finish.  Hope this helps.