I am 5'2, 110lbs w/ 440 HP silicone, recently had breast augmentation. Why is my plastic surgeon avoiding a revision? (photo)

I recently expressed concerns on RS and DRs confirmed stating that I could benefit from a pocket revision, as well as possibly a lift. I told all this to my PS who said "but they look good" and looked "as expected".  He also avoided discussion of revision, saying maybe in a year. My results are "normal"- my R side isn't shaped right either. They have widened drastically from 3mo pic. Do I really need to wait a year?Get a 2nd opinion? I want them fixed!

It is human nature

to want to avoid having to admit that things are not as good as they could be and that surgeons are fallible.  Be patient and go along with this but nail your surgeon down as to when things are considered 'healed' and then you should be able to critique results and from your look, revisions will be beneficial (but not easy).  Make sure you don't go past any deadlines for qualifying for a revision or that your surgeon acknowledges in writing that you will always qualify for a revision under office policy if you go past the deadline.  And if you feel better, you can get second opinions but they will probably support what you've already heard here.  Finally, if your surgeon chooses to ignore your needs, which appear legitimate, you can go on social media and make sure the world knows what your experience has been like and what your surgeon considers 'good' results.

Why is my plastic surgeon avoiding a revision?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. You will find that online consultants will not be able to help you when it comes to understanding your plastic surgeon's rationale when it comes to waiting for revisionary surgery. Best to discuss your concerns and questions directly with him for a better understanding of what his rationale may be.  One possible explanation is that, with ongoing time, the breast implant capsule around the breast implants do thicken and may "hold" suture better (stronger repair).

Generally speaking, there is no specific or "standard" waiting time when it comes to revisionary breast surgery.  Ultimately, this is a clinical decision that a plastic surgeon seeing you face-to-face can help you make.

In the end, it will be important that you select a plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with this type of revisionary breast surgery. Working together you will come up with a good plan to improve your outcome. Best wishes.

Timing of revisions after breast augmentation

There are many variables that enter into the timing for a revision after breast augmentation. In most cases it would be best to wait at least 6 months from the procedure date. To wait a full year would not be uncommon or unreasonable in certain situations. Unfortunately a more definitive answer cannot be provided based on photographs alone. At minimum a physical examination of the breast would be necessary to evaluate the tissues and determine the options and timing for a revision. Good luck and I hope you achieve the outcome your desire. 

I am 5'2, 110lbs w/ 440 HP silicone, recently had breast augmentation. Why is my plastic surgeon avoiding a revision?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Depending on the Timeline a Revision Not Yet Be Applicable

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Since all of these things need to be considered sometimes for at least nine months before a revision can be considered, it is always best to discuss with your surgeon all concerns you have about healing to make sure that everything this getting better.

Thank you for your question.Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you (in any responsible fashion) with specific enough advise to be truly helpful. Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon, earlier that already scheduled if necessary, for in person evaluation.

Best of luck

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is easy to get many opinions on a forum like RS but your plastic surgeon has the advantage of examining you. This may give him insight that is hard to appreciate on a forum like RS. If you do not trust your PS I would suggest a second opinion to see what can be done. 

Best Wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician