What questions should I ask in my in initial consultation for Liposuction?

I would like to start seeing Doctors for my initial consultations. But I'm not sure what questions I should be asking the doctors to be more informed about my decision on a doctor. Please help with any other advise you think I need to be aware of.. Thank you for your help.

Initial Consultation Questions

Consultations are the perfect time to address any concerns you have regarding liposuction. You should be open to discuss your health history and current health condition. It’s good to ask about the surgeon’s experience; make sure that they’re certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Ask for recent before and after photos of the same procedure(s) that you are considering. Ask about the potential risks involved with liposuction.  Make sure that the surgeon evaluates your skin quality to see if you are a good candidate for liposuction.  Get a feel for the type of person the surgeon is and whether or not you trust them. A good surgeon will also take this time to give you pre and post op plans so that you know how to take care of yourself before the procedure, as well as what to expect following. 

Prepare for your initial consulatation for lipo

Hello Hello Lovely!

I wrote an article for RealSelf about initial consultations, but for weight loss patients.  I believe there is overlap, and it can help you.

My basic suggestion to you is to think about what your concerns are and what you hope to get out of surgery.  You would be amazed at how many people are bothered by a body area for years, but are unable to articulate the issues.  I would strongly urge you to consider only a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

There are a number of different lipo techniques including laser, vaser, ultrasound, power assisted, traditional, tumescent, and more.

In addition to the suggestions in the article, go with the intention of  listening.  Your doctor should give you plenty of one on one time, and be willing to explain everything to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

If I can be of additional assistance, please feel free to call.

sek

Liposuction - questions to ask your surgeon

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Good advance planning!
  • Ask if the surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgeon
  • And if the surgeon has admitting privileges at a local hospital
  • And if the surgeon uses an accredited out-patient surgery center.
  • (If you need a small liposuction, it may be done in the office and not need a surgery center.)
  • Ask if an anesthesiologist is present if you are given intravenous sedation
  • then  ask where the incisions will be, the kind of result you can expect, what recovery will be like, what help you will need afterwards and when  you can return to work and to exercise.
  • Ask how long toyour final result, if you need to lose weight first and if it is likely to leave loose skin.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Taking the first step--VASER HI DEF

You should discuss if you're a good candidate right now, what combination of treatments would be best for the results you want, what to expect with aftercare, protocols for aftercare, disclose your medical history and discuss how often they perform these procedures. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a body contouring expert who uses VASER HI DEF for best results. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for the important question; careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

Although I cannot provide you with specific names, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Basically, patients should look at the overall "quality" of the outcomes achieved;  in other words, it will be important that patients see lots of examples of outcomes that they would be pleased with.  In doing so patients will be able to get an idea of each  plastic surgeon's "aesthetic sensibilities". Of course, careful evaluation of the photographs (including factors such as time out of surgery and initial anatomic starting point) will be important as patients evaluate before/after photographs.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

It will be important to determine whether or not you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery;  many patients presenting for this procedure are not good candidates. Generally speaking, good candidates for liposuction surgery are patients who present with localized areas of diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue and an overlying skin “envelope” that demonstrates good skin elasticity. 

You should ask the doctor if you are a good candidate for the surgery, or should you lose any weight first.  Ask him about the compression garment and how long you should wear it.  Let him know any and all medications and supplements you are taking in the event he needs medical clearance from your treating physicians.  Consult with highly experienced board certified plastic surgeons for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD