Breast reduction and lift and tummy tuck. What should I expect? (photos)

I've had 2 C-Sections and 1 myomectomy via the same vertical scar. I workout 4 -5 days a week. I've lost a total of 43 lbs(20 more to go) and I still can't get my stomach flat. I've been to 2 Lipo consults, the last one was honest with me and told me that I need a tummy tuck. I may as well do both. My concerns are: 1. How long will I need to be off from work? 2. How soon will I be able to workout after the procedures? 3. Can I have a low scar? 4. Would I be a candidate for having mesh added?

Mommy Makeover Procedures and Healing

The mommy makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuckAdditional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair. The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, #breastreduction. The combined procedures can be done together to minimize cost and healing time. This can be determined at the time of consultation with your surgeon.

Healing after the procedures will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred. No lifting or straining. At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

Breast reduction and lift and tummy tuck. What should I expect?

Congratulations on your weight loss! You are definitely on the right path. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for mesh reinforcement along with your TT. The mesh will flatten your tummy and re-establish core support. Lipo may or may not be needed once you've lost the additional 20lbs planned. You will also benefit from a minimal incision breast lift which will give you upper pole fullness without the extra cost, risks and complications associated with breast implants. This technique takes longer to perform than 'skin only' vertical scar breast lifts because it is more complex and is customized to your specific needs. For this reason, both procedures will need to be performed separately. You will need at least 1-2 weeks recovery for the TT with mesh and 1-2 weeks for your lift depending on your pain tolerance and type of job requirements.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Great candidate

Congratulations on your 43 pound weight loss! That is quite an accomplishment. When patients are within 10-15 pounds of their weight loss goal, I think surgery can be a great motivator to help them lose those last few pounds. To answer your specific questions:

(1) Average time is 2 weeks off work
(2) 6 weeks for most workouts; Wait a full 3 months before intense work-outs (Cross Fit, Camp Gladiator, etc.) or abdominal work-outs because of the muscle repair
(3) Yes, the scar is often hidden beneath where a two-piece bathing suit sits
(4) I do not suspect you will need mesh

As always, I recommend an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. I'm very close to you; I would love to meet with you in person and help you achieve your goals. Mention this website and we will waive the consultation fee. Thank you for your questions and photos. Best of luck!

Mommy Makeover - Tummy Tuck +/- Lipo?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. It appears you could end up with a very low scar due to the large amount of skin excess present. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Breast reduction and tummy Tuck

Based on the pictures, you will have a very nice result with  breast reduction. As far as needing a tummy tuck, it is quite likely that you will need one. However, better pictures of your tummy will need to be resubmitted. 1) Depending on what you do for work, you will require 2 weeks to recover. 2) You can begin working out 4- 6 weeks after your procedure. No abdominal exercises for 3 months if a muscle repair has to be performed, which is quite likely. As far as mesh, it is typically not used and is not required. 3) You can certainly have a low scar. You should be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and body contouring to examine you.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

What should I expect from mommy makeover?

Thanks for sharing your photos and question.
Based on your photos, you will have a good cosmetic result from breast lift/reduction and tummy tuck.
As you have experienced, it is very common to have a bulging abdomen with hanging skin after pregnancy.  
During the pregnancy, your core muscle and stretch to accommodate for the growing fetus.  Unfortunately, core muscle and skin do not snap back to pre-pregnancy state afterwards.
Tummy tuck is a great procedure if you have a bulge from muscle separation and excess skin/fat in the lower abdomen.
1. Depending on your pain threshold/recovery and your work, you may need to take off 2-3 weeks after tummy tuck.  
2. Each plastic surgeon can have different surgical technique and post-op recommendation. I allow my patients to work out after 4weeks post-op with light cardio and after 6 weeks for core/strenous exercise.  You will need to ask your plastic surgeon for his/her post-op instruction.
3.  You should be able to have a low scar.
4. In most cases, mesh is not necessary.  In addition, it is a foreign body and may give you a potential risk for infection.
Please consult an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon.  
Get all your question and concerns addressed and find out your your candidacy for mommy makeover.
Best regards.

Thank you for your question.  Once you get to your stable goal weight, you would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck and breast reduction.  Consider taking 2 weeks off work for recovery after the surgery.  In my practice, I advise my patients to refrain from any strenuous activity or heavy lifting for about 6 weeks after this procedure.   A low scar is definitely possible.  No need to have mesh with a straightforward tummy tuck unless you have a hernia.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction with Tummy tuck

Hi Newme!

Thanks for your question and photos. You seem like and ideal candidate for both procedures.I would recommend that you plan on taking 9-14 days off from work depending on what you do for work. I limit my patients to no heavy lifting for at least 4-6 weeks depending on whether we plicate or tighten your abdominal muscles. I would recommend having torso liposuction in conjunction with your tummy tuck to decrease your waist as well as the bra rolls. This fat can be utilized to augment your breast or butt as well.  You can resume working out at 6 weeks after the surgery. The scar can be placed really low or 6-7cm from the labia. Mesh during an abdominalplasty just reinforces the fascia or covering of the muscle but is usually not necessary.

I recommend by a board certified plastic surgeron. Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Breast reduction and tummy tuck

Based on your photos you appear to be a candidate for these surgeries.  It is a good idea if you are planning to lose 20 more pounds to get closer to that goal before having surgery.  The time you will need off of work will depend on how strenuous your job is, and how much you're on your feet during the day.  Most patients return to work after 2 weeks.  Returning to exercise will be gradual.  You can begin walking as soon as you're comfortable, and increase activity slowly.  Abdominal exercises will be the last part to be reintroduced.  Your surgeon will work with you throughout your recovery and advise you on activity level based on how you're doing in recovery.  
Scars from the tummy tuck can be kept low, usually to the point they are well hidden by most undergarments. 
The use of mesh during the procedure is something that would need to be determined upon examination by the surgeon.
I advise beginning with a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine you and discuss the procedures in detail to help you understand risks, benefits, and how to reach your personal surgical goals.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast reduction and Tummy tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss! 
1. If you are going to continue on your weight loss plan, I would recommend getting closure to your goal before surgery. Ideally you would be within 10% of your final goal weight. Also remember to stop the diet in the weeks leading up to surgery, you need to be in an optimal nutritional state to heal properly. 
2. I would recommend 2 weeks off from work. Having the breast and abdomen procedures performed together does not change the recovery. If you have the breast reduction alone return to work is usually 7 days. 
3. You will not be working out at full capacity for 6-8 weeks after a TT procedure. Walking and light cardio can be resumed 2-3 weeks after surgery. 
4. You should expect the scar to be covered by the waistband of most two-piece bathing suits. 
5. The majority of tummy tucks do not require mesh placement. Plication of the muscles alone is adequate. I have been experimenting with mesh in breast reduction and lift procedures as an "internal bra". Although this is a newer use of mesh the early results are exciting.