Rippling at 6 weeks?

I had my surgery July 28. I was very small(not even an A) and had little tissue. I went with 290cc CPG. They said I may have some rippling on the sides. I can feel rippling all over but can see it. I am only 6 weeks post op. Will I eventually see the rippling too? I hope not. Help!

Rippling

Unfortunately all implants ripple to some degree and this is more noticeable with little breast tissue coverage over the implant. You may eventually see the rippling but this is not a guarantee. You are still healing and the cpg implant has less rippling than other implants. Fat grafting can be done at a later date if you want to try and hide any visible rippling. Best of luckJosh Olson MD

Rippling

Palpability of the implant is common. Rippling occurs when the tissues are very thin.  As the swelling subsides, you may or may not see it. Time will tell.

Rippling with a CPG

All implants have some rippling, but you usually can't notice it. The more tissue that you have covering the implant, the less you notice. That tissue may include muscle, breast tissue, fat, and capsule. As time passes, the scar capsule matures, and in some cases, smooths out the implant tissue interface and the ripples are less noticeable. Weight loss can also increase the irregularities that you notice as you loose more fat. In general, I would wait at least six months before doing anything to change the augmentation. If you're still not happy, might want to look at other cohesive implants. Though I do like the CPG, mostly because they are so soft, that can be a problem with surface irregularities. Other implants are stiffer.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Rippling felt after Breast Augmentation

The issue with palpable or visible implant rippling is related to the thickness of the tissue (breast gland, muscle, fat) over the implant itself. A woman who is thin with less breast tissue to begin with will have a greater chance of feeling the rippling of the implant than a woman who has larger breasts to begin with and therefore more tissue to cover the implant. Placing the implant under the breast gland and the pectoralis major muscle (which would cover the upper half to 2/3 of the implant) decreases the chance of visible implant ripples when in swimsuits or lingerie, but the side and lower part of the breast is still the most likely place to feel or see ripples related to the implant if the woman is thin and small-breasted to begin with. Saline implants are the most likely to "ripple", but all implants, even the very firm and stiff anatomic shaped silicone implants (Mentor CPG or Allergan 410) have some likelihood of rippling. Other than gaining weight to increase the amount of fat present in the tissue over the implant there is very little that can be done to change the amount of soft tissue coverage over your implant (assuming your implants are sub muscular). Please speak to your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns. Hopefully over time the rippling will stabilize or improve on it's own.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Rippling after BBA

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, rippling can always occur after breast augmentation. Whether you have visible or palpable rippling is directly related to how much tissue coverage there is over the implant, and the type of implant used. Sub-pectoral/dual plane placement of a highly cohesive gel implant is likely the best combination to minimize rippling. That being said, if you have very little tissue coverage over the implant, replace can still occur. Sometimes, fat grafting to add more coverage over the implant can be performed. At this point, you are only six weeks after surgery. I would wait at least 5 to 6 months until making a final determination. Certainly, discuss your concerns with your surgeon, who is likely the best person to give you accurate information regarding your particular case. Best regards

Rippling at 6 weeks?

The rippling depends on the type of breast implants and the amount of tissue you have.  Hopefully, you have cohesive gel implants.  One of the biggest problems with saline implants is rippling.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD