Does my crease red to be lowered? Is there any way around this? (photos)

My surgeon said my crease/fold would have to be's kind of freaking me out about the surgery and I'm just wondering if it is necessary and what I can do to not lower it?

Lowering a creast

Lowering the inframammary fold or crease can be challenging. Ideally, if it is not necessary, disruption of your natural crease should be avoided. That being said, there are certain situations which it may be necessary to lower the fold although these tend to be in the minority of cases. Discuss your goals and concerns with your plastic surgeon before moving forward. It is important you have feel comfortable with your surgeon and have an informative and open discussion so that you can make the best decision for yourself. 

Beverly Hills Physician

Lowering the Fold

There is no need to lower the breast fold.  You have and adequate distance from the nipple to the fold to get an augmentation. 

Does my crease red to be lowered? Is there any way around this?

Your right to be cautious. An appropriately sized implant does not typically require that the crease be lowered.

Consider multiple consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons. This will give you the opportunity to hear different opinions on your breast augmentation surgery.

Lowering the Fold

It is not necessary to lower the inframammary fold.  Doing so makes for greater unpredictability in the operation and it's outcome. However, if your aesthetic goals dictate a larger implant, lowering the fold may be necessary. 

I stick with biodimensional measurements to obtain the most appropriately sized implant for my patient without lowering.  If you are worried, consider a smaller implant.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Lowering the crease

You have (like everyone else) some asymmetry to your breasts, I would say its mild in nature. From your photos, I personally would not lower your crease and allow a larger implant and time to help even things out to the point that is achievable. Its normal to have some fold height asymmetry, and usually you'd only think about fold lowering if the nipple to fold distance was much shorter than normal, which yours does not appear to be.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Does my crease red to be lowered? Is there any way around this

what cause the need for a crease to be lowered is the width of the implant and the ability of your skin to stretch. If the skin is tight and the crease high, the lowering of the crease can be eliminated by choosing a smaller implant

Julio Garcia, MD

If you choose an implant that, when centered on your nipple, extends below the crease, you will absolutely require lowering of the crease. At surgery, the implants must be centered beneath your nipples or your breasts will not assume a natural shape and will look disfigured. There is no way around this without moving the nipples and you do not appear to need that. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

It's is very uncommon to lower the crease/fold so make sure you see several surgeons to make sure the advice is consistent. After 30 years practicing aesthetic plastic surgery my best advice is to see a very experienced breast surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

I don't know what the reasoning is from your surgeons perspective, but I would warn you against lowering the crease/inframammary fold.  From your photos, I don't see any reason that this would be necessary, and many reasons why it could be detrimental.  I would recommend going to other consults until you find a surgeon that you feel comfortable with and has good results.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Does my crease need to be lowered?

It is relatively uncommon to lower the inframammary folds during a breast augmentation surgery unless the nipple to inframammary fold distance is extremely short or constricted, or you plan on using excessively large implants. Both lower the fold and the use of large implants increases the risk for implant malposition and double bubble deformities. You can always get second opinions from other plastic surgeons in your area. Thank you for sharing your photo and question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD